Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tranny??Possibly Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2008, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny??Possibly Something Else?

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, with a 4.8L V-8, and pushing 180,000 hwy miles. As i was passing someone a few days ago i noticed a big change in thw way my truck reacted to hitting the gas pedal when passing, it rev'd up to 6,000 rpm's before it actually took off..So then my next step was to check the fluid level, which i did and it was cklose to none at all, so i added to quarts and re-checked, it showed full, that evening drove it back home and then next to a friends house, felt like problem was solved. Well the very next day i drove it to run some errands and once again came across a car moving really slow so decided to pass, once again i got the same issue, it rev'd up to 6, then it took off. Got to a store and pulled over to check fluid level, it was good, this was after about 30 miles of driving. So i decided to head back home not wanting to continue driving it this way, well i got back home and my brother in law came out to take a look at it, he noticed the plug wire on the passenger far rear was moving up and down, almost like a heartbeat, so we stopped the engine and he checked the plug..it was real loose, he finished takin it out by hand...wow, i thought it was problem solved, just a loose plug, so i immediately went took it for a test drive, but unfortunately it done the same exact thing as i hit the gas pedal as if to pass someone, it shot all the way up on the rpm gauge, before i felt it kick into gear, he checked the fluid and it niether looked or smelt burnt. By the way its an automatic transmission. Has anyone had this problem or could tell me whats going on with this thing? It is the first time my truck has given me any trouble at all... Could it be the tranny? or something else related causing this? Any suggestions?

[IMG]local://upfiles/14613/7091933B2C3743438E4ED12A7C930D7E.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Tranny??Possibly Something Else?

We just had our 06 in the shop for warranty repairs and they performed a software update for a clunking noise in our drivetrain so there might it might be possible you could need a software update for your truck that might help with this problem.

You can also search http://www.alldata.com/ for character problems with your Yr. make and model. I dont know if signing up for a subscription will show the full service bulletins but you can see the titles and maybe refernce the TSB number to the service tech. The TSB menu on that site starts at the lower right and says "View TSB and Recalls" and A/T = autotrans
Old March 2nd, 2008, 3:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say yours is a tranny problem. Mine has a clunking problem they cant seem to fix . They didnt say anything about a puter update for it. I dont see how a puter update can fix a clunking that happens when start from a stop. They did grease the yoke which may have helped for a time..
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Well i brought it to two different places and both had the same prognosis, the 2nd gear is shot, so it calls for re-build, it's a hefty $1696 plus tax job but i am just gonna have to go head and get it done, so thats for the replys and help....Jason