Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tranny temp gauge sender location

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tranny temp gauge sender location

Hi Guys, I have a 4L80 behind a 6.0 (2005) and I want to install an aftermarket tranny temp gauge. Where should I mount the sender? Also, any recomendations on a good full sweep gauge that won't break the bank?

Thanks, Bigb
Old October 19th, 2020, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this
AutoMeter 8357 gauge and sender kit from Amazon AutoMeter 8357 gauge and sender kit from Amazon
. I'm anxious to see what response you get here because I don't see any threaded holes for the sender, but it's tough to see the top of the transmission in my '04 Express.

Old October 20th, 2020, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wow TX I posted that question 10 years ago! Never got an answer but I did install the gauge and it has been working fine ever since. I'll have to crawl under there when I get a chance, if I recall there was a test port on the side. I also removed the pan and installed a drain so I could swap out some of the fluid now and then which I have done regularly, and I installed a big transmission fluid cooler in front of the radiator along with two 16 inch electric pusher fans to keep the radiator cool in the hot summers here. The van is now at 120K and no issues whatsoever with the transmission. I am loaded with over 12K GVW all of the time in stop and go city driving (service body van) and I know that transmission would have failed a long time ago if I hadn't done all the cooling mods, at 30K the fluid was burned badly almost black which is why I did all the mods and saved it. PS I used the Autometer gauge as well.

Last edited by bigb; October 20th, 2020 at 9:39 AM.
Old October 20th, 2020, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BigB, wow I didn't even notice the post was that old! Thanks for responding. I am curious about the location of the test port and where you mounted your gauge. Pictures would be awesome!
Old October 21st, 2020, 9:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TXLeadfoot
BigB, wow I didn't even notice the post was that old! Thanks for responding. I am curious about the location of the test port and where you mounted your gauge. Pictures would be awesome!
The test port is on the driver side of the transmission - about centered front to back, just above the pan. It’s just a plug in the case.

A temp sensor can be mounted there or, if you’re already dropping the pan for service, a hole can be drilled in the pan and a bung welded in or you could find appropriate hardware to mount the sensor without welding.

FWIW, GM’s factory temp sensor is in the internal wiring harness for the solenoid control circuits (on valve body), so mounting the sensor in the test port may result in a different temp reading if compared to live data from a scan tool.