Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trans. Temp

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans. Temp

I have a 2008 Silverado WT. 6-cyl that I use for daily driving and moving small loads. The other day the trans. temp jumped to 250 degrees and the engine temp shot up to max momentarily. Then the cab started to smell like something was burning. Now the trans. temp is running between 220-225. Before this happened, I believe it was hovering between 200 and 210. Does anyone know the the normal trans temp or why this might have happened? I took it to the dealership and they said everything seemed normal and they replaced a relay for the radiator fans...but for some reason I still think something is wrong. Any information would be appreciated...thanks.

BL
Old November 7th, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well let me tell you about trans fluid. and how BAD it is to get it to that temperature. means your fluid is breaking down and varnish is appearing on all your trans components. take this for example. this is coming from my trans book from auto trans class. if you keep trans fluid at or below 180 deg. F. it will last 100,000 miles. considering your filter works well and filters out particles. for every 20 degrees above 180. the fluid's life splits in half. so at 200 degrees. your looking at 50,000 miles. and thats if the fluid is 200 all around. not just the trans. since you hit the 250 mark. the same as your coolant about. means your trans cooler is not working very well. and that something indeed is very bad. when you smelled something burning. i bet one whole dollar that your trans overheated and theres a breather tube on the trans and it spewed out boiling hot fluid onto your exhaust. and since your fluid is staying at over 200. GET IT CHECKED OUT FAST!!! you got a warranty hopefully. get it looked at as fast as your 6 can tug you. your trans is a deep fryer and your bands, clutches and friction material are the frys.
Old November 10th, 2009, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response...I took it into the dealer and they said that they hooked up their computer and drove around for a while and all the numbers looked right and they couldn't find any leaks. They told me that the fans kick on at 226 and that's when the temp starts coming down. They also said during the summer, the fans are always on because the AC is running so that is why I do not have any trans temp. or coolant temp issues. They assured me there was nothing wrong with the truck but I still have a feeling that something isn't right. Has anyone ever heard of the trans temp. and coolant temp. rising in the cooler months compared to the warmer months? Thanks.
Old November 12th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

the only other thing that would make the coolant temps jump up like that is either the fans didn't come on like they should have or the thermostat is sticking and it finally did open but not until it got very hot. I agree with the last poster get your tranny checked out. If they said it was okay I would still at a MINIMUM change the fluid because its TOAST. Even if you do it yourself drop the pan and change the filter. If it was me I would change it once drive 100 miles if it takes you that far and change it again. That way you get a good flush.