Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Transfer case leaking - How to Fix?? **WITH PIC**

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case leaking - How to Fix?? **WITH PIC**

Well, I've determined there is a leak in my transfer case for my 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4.

I filled up the transfer case with fresh fluid, and it proceeded to leak out fluid overnight producing a puddle about the size of a coffee cup lid. I then cleaned off the case, but now it only leaks with a couple of drips through the night. I cleaned off the fluid residue from the transfer case to try and identify the source of the leak....apparently that's easier said than done... I checked the fluid level, and see that there is still plenty in there, so now I need to determine if this leak can be fixed.

I've read a few other forums about other Chevy and GMC owners who experience this issue (apparently I am not alone here!). I'm seeing residue in the two pocket areas and a drip at the tip of the case - see below pic (click on to enlarge). Any advice on how to located the leak and fix this without paying a mechanic $1K? I've heard JB Weld can help, but where would I place the epoxy?
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case leaking - How to Fix?? **WITH PIC**-053.jpg  
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

By the way, I see the drip, but do not see a hole anywhere. I've taken a pin light to it, and examined it pretty closely, but don't see anything. Any recommendations?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds like you over filled it and extra is coming out the vent on top and running down.
Old February 26th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

I see the vent and there is quite a bit of fluid build up around that area, but the vent tube hangs above the case, and there is not any fresh fluid up there. The fresh drip continues to show at the tip of the case, and I have noticed some small cracks along the case where the bolts are. I placed some JB Weld on the cracks and the tip of the case today, and will see if this makes any difference.

Any other suggestions anyone?
Old February 26th, 2012, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

You might end up having to replace the gasket if the jb doesnt work it might not be the funnest thing ever but its better then having to buy a whole new case but hopefully that jb weld works. or if you wanna get all idaho on it get some heavy duty outside paint and paint the seem up and where you think the whole is i know a guy that lives by that fix for blown head gaskets and his rigs still run strong a few coats of that will seel anything