Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

transfer case slipping/grinding

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case slipping/grinding

My '99 silverado 1500 4wd started making this grinding noise when I take off. Mostly just when under load or if I hit the gas too hard. Transmission is working good. I had it rebuilt a couple of years ago. The only thing I can think of it is the transfer case. I have talked to a couple of people and searched some forums. Maybe a slipping chain in the transfer case or I saw a post about some snap ring in the tail shaft breaking. Do you guys have any experience or thoughts about my truck?
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
CF Junior Member

does it start grinding only when in 4wd or does it happen in 2wd AND 4wd?
Old September 26th, 2010, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

It does it in 2wd. not sure about 4wd.
Old September 26th, 2010, 9:57 PM
CF Junior Member

put it in 4wd and see if it still does it. if it doesnt then it is probably a slipping chain like you said
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

I put it in 4wd high and no problems. So you think it is a chain. Anyone have any experience with this? Is this something that needs to be done by a transmission guy or can I tackle this at home?
Old September 29th, 2010, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

unless you know how to get in there without messing anything up have someone do it. A transfer case repair wouldnt take long for a shop anyway, its very easy to get to.
Old October 7th, 2010, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

How do I idenify my transfer case? it is a manual floor shift.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

re: suzuki samurai transfer case
tcase is seperate and will need to be changed seperately. service manual calls for automatic transmission fluid to be used (nissan's matic D fluid), but lots of us use the same gear oil used for the manual transmission for the tcase. just in case the oil seal between the transmission and tcase leaks. then the fluids that mix are the same.
I say screw it, it s costs the same to rebuild one or buy a functional used one.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
CF Active Member

i went to a tranny shop about my blown tranny and the guy at the shop told me that anyone can rebuild a tranny of transfer but you gotta have the ***** to try, he said they arent difficult but you have to go for it, im actually going to try to rebuild my tranny this weekend
Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

salvage yard transfer cases
Had the front driveshaft replaced 5k ago because of the 2 inch lift, all greasable ujoints. Will buy the new seals tomorrow. Also, the "high/low" lever on the new transfer case is very difficult to move back and forth. Is that normal and will it free up once I connect my existing cable or could it be an indication it may lockup in the future?
I have had a lot of good luck with these guys, transfer cases, they have a bunch of salvage yards across the country

Quick Reply: transfer case slipping/grinding