Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Transmission rebuild, now engine oil leak... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2014, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild, now engine oil leak... Help!!

Happy 4th of July to everyone out there!! This is my first time posting on this site, so I thank anyone in advance for advice.

I just had a complete rebuild on the transmission of my 2000 silverado, 5.3, L460E transmission this past week. Runs well.... But I had a bit of a shimmy going down the highway taking it home. I noticed that I was missing some tire weights on one of my tires, so I took it to tire kingdom to have them balanced.

In good fashion, they tried to up-sell on me, informing me that I had an oil leak. I said that I would take care of it. Got it home and looked underneath and everything was coated in engine oil, although my level was ok. I decided to drop the pan and replace the gasket, thinking this would be the best place to start. I did so, and after a long day, I noticed that the oil was still leaking after test driving. I notice that its coming from around the rear near the oil filter, where the tranny bell housing meets with the engine fly wheel. I did inspect this area yesterday, and the flywheel was dry when I dropped the pan, so I didnt think that it was the main seal.

My question is, is there any way that when I had the transmission rebuilt, that they may have messed up the rear seal?

I ran it today.... Got it hot... and it wasnt leaking until I shut the engine off... then it was a constant drip... I torqued the pan bolts to spec... 18lbs I believe it was, and I know the tolerances for the pan to transmission is less than .01 inches, which Im well within since I used the bell housing to pan bolts to draw it in.... Anyone have any Ideas??
Old July 5th, 2014, 5:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at your receipt. Did they charge you for a new rear main seal?

If it doesn't leak while the engine is running, that just about pin-points the seal.

Allan
Old July 5th, 2014, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the seal has to be seated to the correctly with the rear engine cover. There is a special installation tool for this. If the tool isn't available, a seal and cover assembly should be installed. Usually, a rear seal/cover leak leak will show oil drops on the 2 long bolts at the rear.
Old July 6th, 2014, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thats exactly where the leak is coming from. The two long bolts, right next to the oil filter. and while the engine is running, no leak.... as soon as I shut it down, drip drip drip....

So Is it possible that the rear seal was damaged while installiing the rebuilt transmission? And is that something that they should have taken care of while they were in there?

There is no mention of a rear main seal being changed on the reciept.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Pro Member

If I were putting a transmission in for someone, I would replace the seal just because I'm there and to avoid what you're going thru.

But no, they can't be held responsible; not their fault.

Allan
Old July 6th, 2014, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

thanks again... Im gonna talk to him tommorow and see what he is willing to do. This all happened last week... Right before a long holiday weekend, so its been sitting in front of the house waiting to get done. Im chomping at the bit a little.

Thanks for the help...
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
If I were putting a transmission in for someone, I would replace the seal just because I'm there and to avoid what you're going thru.

But no, they can't be held responsible; not their fault.

Allan
I didn't do it on my f-body in 2002 when I swapped trans. It was only 8 years old.

Now it is 2014, and it's leaking.. but not excessively yet...

Don't you need to remove the flywheel to replace it? I have yet to look this up.
Old July 7th, 2014, 7:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Yes Sir,

Flywheel has to come off.

Allan