Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Transmission will not shift into passing gear

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2010, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission will not shift into passing gear

Hello all, I just replaced the head gaskets on my 1996 Silverado 305 Vortec. The truck runs great and all is well but the truck will not shift into passing gear on the highway or while pulling a hill. Got a feeling I missed a vacuum hose or something else. What did I miss? Any help is appreciated!
Old October 13th, 2010, 4:43 PM
CF Active Member

unlike the turbo 350s and 400s the vacuum lines are internal, if a vacuum line has come undone, it normally stops you from ever shifting into 3rd or over drive, can you give more details? it could be a broken or stuck valve inside the tranny
Old October 14th, 2010, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have tracked all of the lines and connections and all are correct. The truck is shifting very hard into second gear on take off, shifts fine into all others. The truck will not shift into passing gear, making it very difficult to merge into traffic or pull a hill with a load. I would like to avoid buying a new transmission if possible, wondering if a rebuild will do the trick or not. I have checked all fuses and external connections and I am trying to find the trouble code from the ecm so that I can research that. Thanks for all of your help.
Old October 14th, 2010, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

if you have to replace it, having it rebuilt is just as expensive as buying a new one, my transmission recently went out and as a learning experience, i am going to try to rebuild it myself, if it doesnt work then im going to just buy a new one, i bought a book called GM automatic overdrive transmission, builders and swappers guide by cliff ruggles and it takes you step by step on how to rebuild a tranny, so if your up to the challenge, you could try that
Old October 15th, 2010, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a great idea. I haven't rebuilt a transmission yet but I am willing to do so. I have found that buying the parts for a rebuild will be much cheaper than taking it to a shop, so I will try that first. Thanks for the info on the book, I will look it up and give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help!
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u play with the TV cable at all? they are very sensitive on those trans, it isnt like a turbo350's kickdown, they use throttle position to decide what to do
Old October 20th, 2010, 2:28 PM
CF Active Member

ive been to a few shops and the average shop was telling me that they want $1100-1300 for them to rebuild my transmission, if i wanted to spend that kind of money i could just buy a new one but i went to a shop yesterday to see if he could sell me a rebuild kit and he said that if you go to the place he gets them from, its only like $80, so just out of curiousity, i asked him how much for him to rebuild my tranny and remarkably he only wants $600, he said he could have the tranny back to me in 24 hours and he gives a 1 year, unlimited mile warranty on it, i asked him how hard it would be to rebuild the tranny myself and he said the average person with average mechanical skills could rebuild one with no problem. i was going to rebuild it myself but honestly i have replaced my transmission 3 times now and am seriously tired of messing with it, although he said that it is impossible to put a transmission back together wrong, i still just dont want to deal with my transmission again for a long time and i think $600 is a very good price so i think im going to have it rebuilt, but the book i have is a very good reference and is worth getting so you can atleast look into things and learn a little
Old October 21st, 2010, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Haven't tried that yet, will look into it when I get back into it. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old October 21st, 2010, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

I have also checked around here and the going price is $ 1500-$1700 for a rebuild. Like you said, may as well buy a new one. I would much rather spend the $80 for the kit and learn how to do it myself. I forgot about a family friend that is a retired tranmission man. I got with him and he is willing to stand over my shoulder while I do it. He said that it should be good as new when I finish. Now all I need is a free weekend to get it done. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
CF Active Member

man thats awesome, the shop i went to, the guy was very helpful and let me in the back of the shop and taught me some things while i was back there and he said that you really cant rebuild it wrong or put it together wrong but at this point ive replaced the tranny 3 times already so im ready to be done with it so $600 is worth it, but man thats awesome that youll have someone looking over your shoulder, thats how i am, if its my first time doing something, id rather have someone supervising me, goodluck from one chevy lover to another

Quick Reply: Transmission will not shift into passing gear