Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

truck starts to act like its misfiring under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck starts to act like its misfiring under acceleration

A new guy here. pretty much my first post of anything anywhere so if Im doing something wrong, let me known and I will correct. I really need some help. I want to keep owning Chevy trucks but if the dealer cannot even solve my truck problem, I might need to go to a different .......i cant even write it.
I got my 2000 Chevy Silverado (4.3L, 2WD) back from the dealer after over a week in the shop. They say they cannot solve the problem.
The problem - as I try to increase speed to get on the interstate, or going up a long hill (continual acceleration load), at about 55 or 60 mph the truck starts to shutter some and stops accelerating and acts like its misfiring. after I get over the hill or bridge hump and I let off the gas pedal it will return to normal after approx. 30 seconds of idle. Warning light will come on blinking at first then after it "returns to sort of normal" stays on continuously and I can very slowly accelerate to proper interstate speed.
What dealer shop says it not, catalytic conv., plugs or wires, O2 sensor, fuel pump or filter, crank pos sensor, misfiring, Torque conv. (still not sure why investigate that), fuel injectors or system, They did replace the entire distributer but this was happening before and after that. This happened to this truck once before and a guy named Al at a Jacksonville FL auto repair shop fixed it by replacing the entire distributer (that's what he told me). It had plenty of acceleration (for a 4.3) and made it up the Skyway bridge (St. Petersburg FL) many times.
Old June 5th, 2014, 7:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is wrong with this picture. A certified GM dealer telling you that they "can't fix it"? I'd find another dealer.

Your symptom just screams fuel filter OR wires OR plugs.

I'll tell ya, finding a good tech nowadays is a chore.

Allan