Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

True HID's on New Silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2008, 8:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True HID's on New Silverado

Ive had HID headlights on all my past vehicles, so I know how great they are! However, the company that I used to buy my conversion kits from, quit selling HID's for automotive use?!? The company was called Polarian, and they sold Philips ballasts and rebased Philips arc tubes. And as we know, Philips is the supplier for HID components for some of the high end cars. The kit I bought was called 6000k Ultinon and they produced the most awesome purplish/white color. Anyway, to get to the point, Im having a hard time finding a kit that sells 6000k that produces that same color. I want the purplish/white color but still retain as much lumens as possible, so I dont want to go over 6000K. Does anybody know where to find one? If you have em, what kind of HID's did you put on your Silverado, and which website did you buy them from? Did your kits wiring harness come with relays that draw current from the battery?Tell me what youve got and give me your opinion.

Thanks!

PS: word of advice from a professional firefighter, kits without a relay kit (the ones that just "plug and play" into your factory headlight harness) is a bad idea, its a hit or miss. Youve got a 50%, 50% chance of burning your vehicle to the ground!!! Ive seen it a handfull of times. Be carefull. Remember that HID's require high voltage to start up drawing lots of current, then drop down to 12 volts and 35 watts to maintain. The small guage wiring of your factory headlight harness is not meant to handle that kind of current draw, WILL heat up andcould melt or catch fire. The "good" kits, come with relay's and larger power wires that run directly to the battery, and only use the headlights wiring harness for switching (tells the relay when to turn on and off), when you turn your headlights on and off. Just my 2 cents from experience.
Old February 12th, 2008, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: True HID's on New Silverado

I really wanted HID's for my 2007 Silverado but I was unable to install them in Canada as having day time running lights is the law here. The way the Silverado headlights work right now is they lower the voltage of the lowbeams for day time running lights. And if you replace the low beams with a HID (need a certain voltage to burst on) they wont work as day time running lights (they will flicker like a strobe light).

Which sucks b/c I really wanted HID's. What I did do is I bought some PIIA bulbs which are a lot brighter than factory and almost as bright as HID (they just dont have that nice rich color)

If I am wrong could someone please let me know. I am simply going by what my mechanic said when he was going to install a HID kit.

Old February 15th, 2008, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

I installed HID and the DRL did not flicker like you mentioned. Did you experience this, or are you just going by what your mechanic said?
Old February 15th, 2008, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

was this on a 2007 ? are your DRL running off the low beams ? or did they get wired elsewhere ?

No i did not do it, my mecahnic told me that it could not be done as he tried one before.

Old February 16th, 2008, 6:37 AM
CF Junior Member

It was a 2007, and yes the DRL run off the low beams. There was no flicker. It might aslo be specific to the manufacturer of certain hid's. By the way I have since disabled my DRL by removing the fuse.
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
CF Senior Member

IIS86, your mechanic is wrong!! The DRL's and low beams are the same bulb, same filament, same voltage, same watt, same everything for 2007 new body style. If you replace them for HID's and they are done right, the only flicker you will get, is breifly upon ignition and then your good to go.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

hey bro it is illegal for me to give you the advice to wire up the dvd player while driving but if you contact me threw my *** account i can send it were others won't see it .. akcirocz1986@***.net
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: fireman526

Ive had HID headlights on all my past vehicles, so I know how great they are! However, the company that I used to buy my conversion kits from, quit selling HID's for automotive use?!? The company was called Polarian, and they sold Philips ballasts and rebased Philips arc tubes. And as we know, Philips is the supplier for HID components for some of the high end cars. The kit I bought was called 6000k Ultinon and they produced the most awesome purplish/white color. Anyway, to get to the point, Im having a hard time finding a kit that sells 6000k that produces that same color. I want the purplish/white color but still retain as much lumens as possible, so I dont want to go over 6000K. Does anybody know where to find one? If you have em, what kind of HID's did you put on your Silverado, and which website did you buy them from? Did your kits wiring harness come with relays that draw current from the battery?Tell me what youve got and give me your opinion.

Thanks!

PS: word of advice from a professional firefighter, kits without a relay kit (the ones that just "plug and play" into your factory headlight harness) is a bad idea, its a hit or miss. Youve got a 50%, 50% chance of burning your vehicle to the ground!!! Ive seen it a handfull of times. Be carefull. Remember that HID's require high voltage to start up drawing lots of current, then drop down to 12 volts and 35 watts to maintain. The small guage wiring of your factory headlight harness is not meant to handle that kind of current draw, WILL heat up andcould melt or catch fire. The "good" kits, come with relay's and larger power wires that run directly to the battery, and only use the headlights wiring harness for switching (tells the relay when to turn on and off), when you turn your headlights on and off. Just my 2 cents from experience.
I just installed the 6000k HID lights in my 08' crewcab. I bought them from a company in Haltom City, Texas and they have the real deal HID's. They customkits come with the relay that draws power straight from the battery and and step by step instructions on how to install them. The kit was about $170 but a buddy bought some for his bike at the same time so they knocked off about $20 off the total price. They will help you out anyway they can and I would recommend buying from them. Here is the website: http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/

P.S.

The only problem I had was with the ground, where they said to connect it was a bad spot. So I just relocated it to the battery.
Old September 1st, 2008, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: 900rrSTUD

ORIGINAL: fireman526

Thanks!

I just installed the 6000k HID lights in my 08' crewcab. I bought them from a company in Haltom City, Texas and they have the real deal HID's. They customkits come with the relay that draws power straight from the battery and and step by step instructions on how to install them. The kit was about $170 but a buddy bought some for his bike at the same time so they knocked off about $20 off the total price. They will help you out anyway they can and I would recommend buying from them. Here is the website: http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/

P.S.

The only problem I had was with the ground, where they said to connect it was a bad spot. So I just relocated it to the battery.

I just bought from them for my 08 Sierra (I know, I know......this is a Chevy forum). Very good service from company. I haven't got a chance yet to install them, but cannot wait
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

you can still run the DRL as long as you wire up a relay harness. done it on a few NBS silverados, tahoes, avalanches, impalas and colorados

Quick Reply: True HID's on New Silverado