Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trun signal switch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2009, 6:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trun signal switch replacement?

I am wondering if anyone can tell how long and how it is to replace the whole turn signal switch in a "95 silverado 1500 with tilt? About 3 months ago the hazard warning light button stopped working and I need to fix it to pass inspection in PA. So question is whether pay to have mechanic fix it or save money and deal with it myself. Any input would be awesome. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:21 PM
CF Active Member

You have to have hazard lights for an inspection? That's crazy. You should move to Texas. They don't worry about that stupid crap.

Oh, forgot to ask: Are you sure it's the switch that's the problem? A flasher is much cheaper and easier to replace. Idk about the fullsize pickups, but my blazer that I used to have had a flasher for the turn signals and a separate one for the hazards.

Last edited by 98white5.0; March 31st, 2009 at 7:23 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haynes manual man with that 15 dollar manual you can fix anything on your truck step by srep directions and pictures
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

It took me about an hour on the '96.... Would have been less had I not replaced the Ignition switch along with it.
Flat rate manual says 2 hours which will be about $140 at the dealership if you're lucky.
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, I have one, just need to find it. And yes its the switch, I can push the button down but it won't click in to place and stay down. And yes, I know it is stupid to have the state regulate that kind of stuff, they also require inspection on any and all trailers no matter how small. If its going to be on the road to PA wants it functioning perfectly. My opinion is its just a way for them to make money, but that is getting off topic.
Old March 31st, 2009, 7:59 PM
Super Moderator

Evans, you posted while I was writing, anyway, how did you get the top plastic piece off the top of the collum? the one that hazard button pops through.
Old March 31st, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

I agree, it is stupid. You might as well get a haynes manual. I hear they're great. I just ordered one from rockauto along with a few other parts. Ended up getting it free after I entered a 5% off code. You know, 5% ended up being the price of the manual, so I think I did good.
Old March 31st, 2009, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I just found mine out in the truck, but it doesn't explain how to replace the unit. It just tells how to replace the flasher.
Old March 31st, 2009, 8:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Theres two 7mm screws somewhere if I'm not mistaken.
I'm not entirely sure you have the same interior. I don't remember what year they started the new interior style.
Old March 31st, 2009, 8:22 PM
Super Moderator

Your right on, they switched in "95 to new the interior. I am starting to lean towards doing it myself, I found a replacement unit on ebay for $62 shipped. Hey Evans I this would probably be a good thing to do a "how to" on in this section. maybe I will work on one when I finish doing it. Whatcha think?

Quick Reply: Trun signal switch replacement?