Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Turn the key and nothing happens...Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn the key and nothing happens...Please Help!

Hello everyone!!

I am having a problem with my 03 Silverado 1500 5.3L. It started happening 6 months ago or so. I turn the key, all the dashboard lights and everything comes on, but the engine never attempts to turn over. There is no noise from the starter or anything except for the clicking from the fuse box under the hood. And, its very random. It may happen once a day or once a week. I can turn the key maybe 50 times, and on the 51st time it will start right up with full cranking power like nothing was wrong. Or, I could let it sit a few minutes then it would fire right up. It can happen after its sat all night or after stopping at a gas station.

I have been told its the security system, starter, starter relay, etc. The only thing I have done so far is changed the starter relay.
One more bit of information....I have recently had some issues on steering column. The spring on the shift lever broke so now it kinda flops and the orange wire going to the tow/haul button broke so I spliced it back together, I would say that all happened about the time it began not wanting to start.

Please help.
Wilky
Old August 18th, 2012, 3:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

If the problems started at the same time then they are related. Check all the wires in the column for another wire that may be broken. I have seen wires that are broken but the insulation is till in tact. Look for weak spots in the wire.
Old August 18th, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Active Member

Ignition switch is a possibility, but first thing I would do the next time it happens is wiggle the shifter while the key is turned and see what happens. If it starts it could be the neutral safety. When the broken spring occurred it now might not be holding the lever properly in park therefore not allowing it to start. I think all of your issues are coming from inside the column and is not starter related.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 95 Chevy that acted similar. Turned out the battery cable wasn't connected solid to the battery.
Old August 18th, 2012, 1:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Pull and hold the shifter to the park position. then try it could be the nuetral saftey switch not making.
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

My 08 Silverado is having an issue when I try to start it. Sometimes it will start right away, but other times I turn the key it clicks and then sometimes there is nothing. I wiggle the negative battery cables and it seems to help but not always. I have checked the terminal connections and they are fine. please help what else could be wrong. I had the battery checked and it is fine.
Old November 25th, 2013, 3:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

dawnrenee35,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. I am sure you will get some great advice from the members. If you choose to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this for you, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care