Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vibration!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2005 Silverado, reg cab, long bed, 4wd. Tires have been balanced, rotors turned, different tires and numerous service visits. I have a vibration that starts around 35mph up to 70mph. I have not received any help from dealership. They checked it w/ sensors and say that it is within gm specs. I rode w/ tech, headmitted that it is bad, steering wheel shake, feel it throughout the whole truck. Anyone else have this same problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

if the tires are definately correctly balanced, i would guess that you have a bent wheel, a broken belt in the tire, or possibly your driveshaft isnt weighted correctly...
Old April 27th, 2005, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

You betcha... check for unbalanced drive shaft ... just bought a 2000 1500 and at 36 to 90 mpg i got the same shake in the steering cost is about 360.00 dollars so do have it checked as it can damage your transmission or other... also have them check and replace the carrier bearing ( not sure if yours has one or not ) .. but I put new tires and had it balanced 3 times and had the steering checked for loose or worn tie rods but nothing ... so yeah have them check that ...</P>

</P>
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Vibration!!!!!!!!!!

I have an 05 Silverado that vibrates when braking starting around 55 mph.

I took it back to the selling dealer for this problem and they turned the rear drums.

About 3000 miles later the vibration was back so I took it back to the selling dealer and this time they replaced the tires with the same brand, Generals.

Unfortunatelty the vibration came back and again I took it back to the selling dealer. This time they turned the front rotors. No help...vibration came back.

Now it also developed a high speed vibration in addition to the vibration during braking. Again I took it back to the selling dealer and they turned the rear drums AGAIN! Plus the replaced the universals on the driveshaft.

That was last week and I'm pretty sure that I feel the vibration coming back.

My thought is that maybe I've got a set of drums with bad heat treating and they're soft and after a few heat cycles they go out of round. Just an idea.

So now it's been back for the same problem four times now and I now have close to 30,000 miles on it and am close to the manufacturers warranty. I've got an extended warranty on it but don't want to pay the deductible to have them try and fix it again.

I'm thinking about checking the Lemon Law here in Texas and see what options I have.

Any thoughts?

Old July 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem on my dodge diesel pickup. Turned out to be a bent rim. Replaced it and it fixed the problem.

I had a van years ago that it turned out to be a unbalanced drive shaft. Had it rebalanced but it never was as good as new.
Old July 21st, 2006, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

It wouldn't hurt to check your drive shaft, the carrier bearing would only be on a two piece drive shaft. It is mounted on the frame and the drive shaft goes thru it just before or after the ujoint in the center of the drive shaft. It could also be the pads not being flat. When the rotors or drums develope grooves the pads can take the shape of the drums/rotors and if not replace that can also cause a vibration, check your tires, if they aren't wearing/ wore even it could be tires. I had tires that were badly worn on one side. (to belts) It pulled to the right, when I changed them I found that I didn't need an alignment it was just the tires. I would say grease your u-joint as they could slip a little at a higer speed or rpm, but they aren't greaseable. Check both front and rear drive shafts, If none of this helps it may even be a bent axle, I don't think I have heard of this but it is possible.
Good Luck
Old July 2nd, 2008, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone have a driveshaft just go bad, lol. I don't mean the U-joints or anything like that. My driveshaft is tweaked. Bent alittle. Moves a quarter of a inch up and down. Hasn't ever hit anything, No heavy loads or anything like that to tweak it. Just wierd. I could understand if I had towed heavy loads and twisted it a bit or something, or a ear break off or snap a u-joint, but no dings, never hit anything, and its just bad now. LOL. Gotta fix it, thought it might have been tires outta balance at first, but when I watched the shaft spin, yep, its bent. Shakes pretty good between 70 and 90. Oh yea, I do drive fast, maybe it was slightly outta balance, and I jus spun it to death. lol.. Guess thats actually possible, but I wouldn't think It would have enough momentum, at that speed to bend the shaft... Maybe 150 mph, but 90 to 100??? Well Maybe...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

On my old 2005 2500HD Ext cab short bed I had a vibration that was so bad I couldn't see out of the rear mirror at 70 MPH. The second time I took it back they (GM) informed me that SOME 2500HD's had a problem with either the drive shaft or the yoke on the rear end. Go back and ask if their are any service flyers on this, because they had to keep mine overnight &amp; get the parts in from Detroit to fix it, and it did I just wish I could remember what it was.
Old July 5th, 2008, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

I have a vibration at about 90mph, then as i climb in speed it goes away. But when i de-accelerate, it comes back until i drop below 90mph. Any thoughts?
Old January 11th, 2022, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Vibration

I have 2001 hd silverado long bed and just had same problem diagnosed. It's most likely the carrier bearing and probably u joints too. I took to mechanic and he diagnosed it. It has that because it's a long bed. Mine is being done tomorrow and will give update. They are replacing carrier bearing and 3 u joints in back part of drive shaft .