Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vibration/bounce -nobody can figure out!

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration/bounce -nobody can figure out!

Hi everyone, I posted a few weeks ago about our truck having a vibration/shaking issue.
It's a 97 Chevy Silverado 1500 ex. cab. We knew that it would need some work, but overall it's a nice truck, I really love driving it, and it's perfect for our needs.

We've had a 4 different mechanics look at it, and nobody can figure out what is going on. They say the suspension is good & tight.

What we've done: New shocks & tires, new rear wheel bearings/fluid, front end alignment & wheel balancing.

With the new tires, it does drive much smoother, but otherwise it still has a vibration/bounce that seems to possibly be coming from the front end, or possibly middle of the truck, it's hard to pinpoint it IMO.
It's like it starts in the front and goes to the back now and then if that makes sense.
It starts about 45mph, much worse 50-55 and seems to really ease up 60mph+.

Every once in a while now, I notice a little pop sound, almost sounds like it comes from the front passenger side tire or door area, and several seconds later you might hear it from the drivers side. It almost sounds like a rock hitting the truck.
I first noticed this happening after making a right hand turn out of the driveway, it would do it on the straight paved road about 20ft after the turn. It doesn't do it all the time, once in a while.
I also notice now and then a kind of whining/groaning sound after making a turn and starting to straighten out. I don't know if these things are linked or not. Just observations.

1st mechanic that looked at it said carrier bearing. Others said it was fine. I read that the only real way to check it for play is if it's in neutral and you go underneath and check it for play? I don't know how true that is?

Would the driveshaft cause the vehicle to vibrate/bounce at certain speeds like this?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, I'm just not sure where to go from here.
Old July 4th, 2014, 1:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by HoosierShadow
Hi everyone, I posted a few weeks ago about our truck having a vibration/shaking issue.
It's a 97 Chevy Silverado 1500 ex. cab. We knew that it would need some work, but overall it's a nice truck, I really love driving it, and it's perfect for our needs.

We've had a 4 different mechanics look at it, and nobody can figure out what is going on. They say the suspension is good & tight.

What we've done: New shocks & tires, new rear wheel bearings/fluid, front end alignment & wheel balancing.

With the new tires, it does drive much smoother, but otherwise it still has a vibration/bounce that seems to possibly be coming from the front end, or possibly middle of the truck, it's hard to pinpoint it IMO.
It's like it starts in the front and goes to the back now and then if that makes sense.
It starts about 45mph, much worse 50-55 and seems to really ease up 60mph+.

Every once in a while now, I notice a little pop sound, almost sounds like it comes from the front passenger side tire or door area, and several seconds later you might hear it from the drivers side. It almost sounds like a rock hitting the truck.
I first noticed this happening after making a right hand turn out of the driveway, it would do it on the straight paved road about 20ft after the turn. It doesn't do it all the time, once in a while.
I also notice now and then a kind of whining/groaning sound after making a turn and starting to straighten out. I don't know if these things are linked or not. Just observations.

1st mechanic that looked at it said carrier bearing. Others said it was fine. I read that the only real way to check it for play is if it's in neutral and you go underneath and check it for play? I don't know how true that is?

Would the driveshaft cause the vehicle to vibrate/bounce at certain speeds like this?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, I'm just not sure where to go from here.
Yes check your drive shaft it may not be balance, also check your tires i know there new and all but i had the same problem at those speed. 1 of my tires was defective.
Old July 4th, 2014, 5:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CV joints.

Allan
Old October 8th, 2015, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Ok just joined and have been reading past posts. I have a 2000 K2500 crew cab and my bounce is in the rear but at the same speeds you mentioned. I have done all the usual things but still have it. I saw your post is a year old I was wondering if you ever solved it. Thanks.