Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

weird engine noise...

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird engine noise...

ok... at cold start, truck starts, oil pressure is at around 60 psi and sounds fine except my squeeky pulley somewhere... and when ive driven a bit so its warmed up, and the oil is warmed of course and the pressure is 40 and then when im idle it goes to 20. now when im in reverse and the revs go pretty low, i get a weird noise coming from the back of the motor by the bellhousing area. if i put it in drive i get it again and the pressure is at 20 or so psi oil. and if i rev it to get the oil pressure up. it stops the noise. and the noise is kind of like when you have a high mileage motor and you start on a cold cold day and it like chatters until you can tell the oil circulates around. well thats what i hear. and im wondering if thats just because low pressure oil and its just clinking a little or should i be worried? it just sort of started happening this month. did an oil change no shavings at all i scanned the oil coming out with a really strong earth magnet. and it was damn clean. nothing on the plug magnet so im asking you guyses. its really weird. im telling myself its nothing like a bad bearing and its just low oil pressure that is doing it. because in cold start repeating the same steps to get low rpm but this time oil pressure is at 60... nothing not a single noise. and when it warms up for 10 minutes and pressure is at 40 still no noise. now... should i be worried that it goes to 20 or so psi on idle? my dads stays at around 40 and his has more miles. mines at 98218 right now and his is at 162785. im thinking i might have to start looking for a bare 350 block and start lookin for some parts to start a build and get ready for this thing to poop on me. now... is there a way to somehow make my oil pressure stay up? use a differnet oil viscosity? ive always used 5w30. using mobil one high mileage clean 5000 oil changing at 2000 intervals. let me know what you guys think. im hoping im not looking at a soon to be dead motor... and if i am... i better get my motorcycle license and get one fast... so i can still work lol. thanks for any input peeps.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to say this but STOP DRIVING YOUR TRUCK...... get the oil pump replaced NOW... trust me i have been there done that.... it aint a pully scweellin its your oil pump.. my uncle just had this happen to his dodge and he didnt listen to me that it was his oil pump and now his truck is sitting in the drive way because his oil pump went out.... and put 10w-30 oil in it change oil filte and clean your pan out... and i would probly take a look under you intake manifold to see if theres any metal shavings...

Last edited by 89silverado283; April 8th, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
CF Active Member

Did you say you change your oil at 2k? That's pretty early. I'm still confused at what the noise is. Never heard anything near what you're explaining. That motor is practically brand new. Don't give up on it. Usually the amount of pressure I have depends on the viscosity of the oil.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

You know, now that I think of it, I bet that's what happened to my blazer when the motor went kaput. I did hear something that sounded like maybe the belt was just slipping. So yea, you won't get very many miles out of it if it is the pump. Mine sure didn't get many.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM
CF Active Member

from the sound of it im sure of it my uncles dodge aint the only vehical i have seen this on... my nissan 300zx had a bad oil pump i,d cold start and have around 60psi when it got worm at all it droped to around 25psi if i was in gears it read about 10.... im possitive its the oil pump... drop the oil pan and clean the pan out and replace the oil pump it will take a day and a half if that.... and if you where me i would take the intake manifold off to make should you dont have any metal shavings under it... you the pump is just faulty then you might not need to take the intake off but if you have ANY metal in pan i would look at EVERYTHING...
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:07 PM
CF Active Member

Cams: Listen to the man with the experience. I trust that if he says stop now, stop now. Change that oil pump. I love it when someone, whether it be me or anybody, has the exact answer and solution for a problem. I just wish 283 would have been around when my blazer was making that noise. Would have saved me $600. Now it's gonna save you at least $1500.
Old April 9th, 2009, 1:22 AM
CF Senior Member

well when i said something about teh squeeling... its just my idler pulley. i put some wd40 in it and it stops the squeek. but wait... where do you say you hear the squeek from? because that squeek is random. and sometimes i hear it sometimes i dont. sometimes it goes away sometimes it doesnt. and if it really is the oil pump... ****! i have no idea how imma get the pan off... is there a way to get the pan off from the bottom and then slide it away from the crossmember? because i have school and work... if it was highschool i wouldnt care but its college...
Old April 9th, 2009, 1:26 AM
CF Senior Member

ok... i re-read the posts and so... what do you have to do to get the pan off? i mean i need the bestest way because i dont have a shop to use. i dont have all these tools and i dont really have any money to go blow. im a broke *** college kid. so i mean could i simply take the bolts off the pan then slide it off then clean the thing then replace the pump? and as for a new pump... should i just get a stock one or go with a high flow one?
Old April 9th, 2009, 4:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just take your pan off and lide it out i would get a high volume oil pump i got one in mine and my oil pressure is just below 60 down the road and just under 40 at idle. dont skimp on the price though get a good quality one very improtant.... what are you going to college for?? I am also in college
Old April 9th, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Senior Member

im going to college for automotive service and business. right now im in philosophy and autobody and computer info systems.

so, to take the pan off i dont have to jack the motor up or anything? i can just drain teh oil, loosen the bolts, slide it away from the crossmember and then take it off. clean the pan and put new pump in then reverse order? because if thats all it is then shoot id ask my manager at jiffy lube if i can work on my truck over night hehe. it would be the easiest way. now, what brand pump do you recommend? high volume eh... i was reading a lot of things about different pumps and this one guy was mud racing his truck and it had a high vol. pump and suck the bottem end dry at 6200 rpm then spun a bearing. so... would it be any good to get a bigger pan? since im taking it off? im not afraid of my oil pump sucking the oil out but just wondering.

Quick Reply: weird engine noise...