Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

weird engine noise...

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump-------
just bought the new melling hi volume pump and new pan gasket from autozone. the last one they carried so that was nice. and im sure i have just enough room to slide the pan out to get to the pump. and with that... if i can get all that done in a few hours im happy. now... as i was under my truck looking around and what not... i was thinking when i get better at welding and fabrication... im gonna make an oil pan thats thick and has a removable lower piece to get to the pump. or if i buy a 04 or newer silverado i can just take out the crossmember lol. but hey. last night i was worried to hell about this now im confident. should i stick with same oil or get thicker oil?
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 89 i know you can just take the pan off... but i,d say un screw it and if you cant get it out then try lifting the motor with a jack and you might be able to remove... just get the stock oil pump your not racing or anything so just get the stock oil pump....my buddy has a 95 and he can take the pan off with nothing in the way... do it on a weekend when you dont have school or work... and you should have plenty of time... get a 10mm socet and maybe a 12mm socet and you can take the pan off
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
CF Senior Member

yeah. well i did plenty of research last night. and people said hi volume pump is just a little better. and it was a price difference of like 6 bucks. and it was the only one in stock. they dont stock the origional pumps. heh.
Old April 9th, 2009, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

oh well in that case then get what you can get... and when i posted my last post it was still on the 1rst page but i think my comp did somthing wierd cause it put it on after like 2-3 more posts lol..... all that matters is that you got the oil pump lol
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
CF Senior Member

ok. so the oil pump directions said its a new hi volume pump and the retaining spring has the capability to get pressure to 70 psi but depending on bearing clearances. but it said it requires a new shaft or something. i cant think of the exact name but the pump has a shaft protruding from the top that i know drives the pump so what else in parts do i need? i got the sockets, gasket set, its the thick rubber one that came with some other circle type gaskets im unsure of. and what looks like an oil filter gasket but i dont know. so. i got pump, gaskets, sockets, and tomorrow new oil. im kinda sad that i just did an oil change 200 miles ago... but hey it was 12 bucks for 5 quarts of mobil one clean 5000 high mileage and a filter.

so, drain oil, unscrew pan, slide it out( i hope so much it slides out) then clean pan and all, take out old pump, re-use screen and pickup tube thing, then put new one on, put pan back with gasket and tighten to 60 foot pounds then fill with oil and hope to god i didnt do something bad...

i know you all have said just slide it or worst to worst jack the block up a tad but i want to have everything there with me and be ready. its 1100 o'clock p.m here and i was under my truck and if i had got new oil earlier today, i would have said screw it im doing it now. but i want to make sure i got every part i need for my pump and all the proper gaskets because its a mile walk to my buddies house to go get his truck to get to the shop thats 5 miles away. hehe. but thank you for telling me all this. u know ive been driving it like this for maybe 2.5 weeks or maybe more. i just realized it one day when i didnt have the stereo blaring and i was listening to my valvetrain tick. i got new rocker arms and pushrods and valve covers to change those out. when i start truck at cold the train is silent then when its running temp it starts it tickin. thats been goin on for over a year. and yeah. so. please let me know what else i need to get all this done. i plan on doing this tomorrow morning because i work 4-7 friday. 8-7 sat. and 9-5 sunday.

Last edited by cams 98 silverado; April 9th, 2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added more
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pick up a haynes manual while your getting oil the best investment for your truck
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
CF Active Member

I second the Haynes notion.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
CF Senior Member

my budy has the whole updated version of alldata its just taking for freaking ever to copy 90 gigs of data... but hey. beats spending couple thousand. hehe. if only i had it sooner.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats alldata? and what cost a couple thousand?
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
CF Active Member

alldata is kinda like haynes but it's on the computer. Autozone has it. They call it ALLDATA DIY.

Quick Reply: weird engine noise...