Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Weird Noises Help plz

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noises Help plz

I just bought my first Chevrolet Truck its a 2004 chev silverado 1500 4wd with the 5.3l V8.
I am not familiar with these trucks so i am not sure if i am worried about nothing, My truckcan be heard fairlyeasilywhen shifting gears at low speeds and the shift from first to second it very hard unless i am at a higher RPM Approx 2000. I have checked all of the fluids except the transfer case and checked all of the joints between the transfer case drive shaft and rear diff and they all seem to be good.I did notice there is a small amount of play within the drive shaft when the truck is jacked up off of the rear wheels.There do not look like there are any fluid leaks.Any suggestions to correct this or is nothing wrong?
Old October 26th, 2007, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weird Noises Help plz

It sounds like the previous owner put a shift kit in it or used a computer programmer to firm up the shifts. If it has a shift kit then you are good to go. If it is a programmer then you want to tone down the shift firmness.

GM tranny's are famous for having the "clunk" when you put them into gear and that is the play that you feel when it is in park and jacked up in the air.

If everything is stock then you may want to take it to a good tranny shop and have them take a look.

James