Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

went mudding, now truck acts wierd, need help

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went mudding, now truck acts wierd, need help

hello,
i went mudding in my completely stock, 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS, 4X4 package, crew cab. everything worked fine while mudding, and while driving home, and later in the same day. next morning i go to start the truck like any other day, and it doesn't start till i turn the key like 6 or 7 times. this now happens at random times and is completely unexpected. what happens is there is no noise, or anything when i turn the key and a little engine light comes on. once it is running however it works absolutely fine. is this a problem, something i should not worry about, or a ticking time bomb waiting to cost my 5000 dollars that i don't have.

thanks for any help.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Have you cleaned to underside of this truck yet? You probably have mud/dirt in the electrical system somewhere. Start by cleaning the truck really good under the engine bay, fire wall, core support, etc. etc. This will (if nothing else) expose the wires and connections for inspection. Check the starter wires and relay/fuse box also as this could be the cause. Once this is done and if the problem persists start checking your vitals (air,fuel,spark) for issues.

Hope it helps.
Old April 18th, 2011, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

hey,
i have cleaned the entire underside, twice. including everything you said. i have not however, done a full check of the wires, and have not even looked at the spark plugs. ill check into these. if the problem persists after a full inspection, do you think it could be something more serious, or would it just continue to be a hidden, minor electrical problem?

thanks for the help
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by carl34567890
hey,
i have cleaned the entire underside, twice. including everything you said. i have not however, done a full check of the wires, and have not even looked at the spark plugs. ill check into these. if the problem persists after a full inspection, do you think it could be something more serious, or would it just continue to be a hidden, minor electrical problem?

thanks for the help

HAHA!!!!! Welcome to the age old question of electrical grimlins....Let us know what and where you have checked and we can try and further assist.
Old April 18th, 2011, 8:00 PM
CF Junior Member

i go muddin every about every month or two and have figured out one of the main causes for this. your wheel wells are right behind and below the battery and so they sling mud up in there. since you are saying it isnt even majing a sound i would assume that the problems with your battery. just take off the wires from both terminals, dont shock urself though, and clean off the terminal rods. then when u put them back on rotates them a little from their original position. i have had the same problem many times before, as well as my muddin buddy and this has always worked. if it doesnt let us know because there are many other fixes which occur less often. and also what kind of muddin? rocky mud? deep ruts? sticky? soupy? how hard were u pushin it? those are all questions for answers that would help as well