Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

what should i get???

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2009, 7:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should i get???

o as we should now i have a built 283 with 327 camel back heads and a 350 cam... ok few things i have been running reguler gas and she runs ok i get about 10 mpg if i was to run better gas do you think it would do better??? and my last one: ok i have the stock 700r4 tranny out of a 87 i think... ok i need to have more torqe "WITH OUT MORE WORK TO THE MOTOR AND NO I DONT WANT TO GET A 350" now if i put a stall converter of like 2200 RPMs eould that get me up the hills better with out going from 65 to 25??? or should i put a manuel tranny in???
Old June 18th, 2009, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what money you have and what you want to do. Myself I would put a manual tranny in! Now as far as the gas alls you can do is try and run some higher octane gas in it and see how it runs I do not think it will improve your gas mileage.
Old June 19th, 2009, 2:29 AM
CF Active Member

i didnt expect better gas milage from the better gas i was hoping i would get more power out of my POP.... and i am on a very tight buget so yeah... does any one know how much a manual is with clutch and all and/or how much a stall converter is???
Old June 19th, 2009, 3:51 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you know how to use an automatic transmission, then there is no difference between the performances of an automatic and that of a manual transmission. If you cant get up the hill in D, then you just put it in 2. And if you cant get out of the mud, then you put it in 1. Dont blame the tranny if you 're not using it correctly.
An automatic transmission, like the 700, is actually 4 gears in which
D with square = 4
d = 3
2= 2
1 = 1

I'm sorry, but I used a Chevy Van G20 , along with a 2000 lbs ( 1000 kilo) trailer behind my tail , 5 people in the car and completely loaded with luggage for a 2 week vacation (and yes... they were women...so we all know they dont satisfy with just 1 suitcase...) and took them straight through the pyrenees (the steepest mountains of Europe ) without the slightest problem. And my Van has the same transmission as yours. The car is only as good as the driver. (sorry if that offends you).
Old June 19th, 2009, 5:04 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They aint cheap, but a gear change may be the best way to go.
Old June 19th, 2009, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Koffietje
If you know how to use an automatic transmission, then there is no difference between the performances of an automatic and that of a manual transmission. If you cant get up the hill in D, then you just put it in 2. And if you cant get out of the mud, then you put it in 1. Dont blame the tranny if you 're not using it correctly.
An automatic transmission, like the 700, is actually 4 gears in which
D with square = 4
d = 3
2= 2
1 = 1

I'm sorry, but I used a Chevy Van G20 , along with a 2000 lbs ( 1000 kilo) trailer behind my tail , 5 people in the car and completely loaded with luggage for a 2 week vacation (and yes... they were women...so we all know they dont satisfy with just 1 suitcase...) and took them straight through the pyrenees (the steepest mountains of Europe ) without the slightest problem. And my Van has the same transmission as yours. The car is only as good as the driver. (sorry if that offends you).

look dude that does offend me be the problem i have is when im going up a freacking hill in 2nd i blow my motors up you jac azz.... im sorry if that offend you but your freackin van probly has a 350 in it and you probly dont have 32" tires and a 3000 pound truck ..... dont ever say i dont know how to drive caus ei can promise i can most likly out drive you any day of the freackin week ok???? and i do drop it down when i go from 65 to 25 i put it in to second.... now if im driving 45 and i put it second well i just went from 2000 RPMS to 4000 so dont try and tell me im driving it wrong.... i have already put freackin 3 motors and am on my 4th and its because my tranny that i have been going through them so dont try and tell me that shi* cause i know how to drive.... i can drive better then anybody i know.... lets see you do 120 down a dirt road drifting every corner and not messing up 1 time.... so now tell me i am driving my truck wrong... mudmaniac i have 373s what should i run to get me up a hill that is about a mile long and about a grade 9 hill???
Old June 19th, 2009, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

Okay, we get the idea, in your opinion, you're a good driver. Now if only you could use proper grammar, that post wouldn't have been such a pain in the *** to get through.

Now, to address your problem; what kind of horsepower/torque numbers are you pulling with your engine setup?
Old June 19th, 2009, 4:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You both need to watch it this is not a place to fight this is a place to give and look for advice. Koffietje there was no need to bash on people you do not know!!! The wrong words could offend some people as in this case it did! Some simple advice would of been fine but you took it to far!

You should change them to 4:10 gear ratio if you are running 33s.
Old June 20th, 2009, 4:57 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Zuk, 4.10 is probably right for you unless you plan on bigger tires.
I don't think Koffietje meant any harm, he is using English as a 2nd language and I think the translations get a little off track.
Old June 21st, 2009, 1:37 PM
CF Active Member

i apolagise... and i really dont care about my grammer.... and i figure im runing around 250 horse power and maybe 220 torqe.... i really dont know thats just guessing i know it has enough power that if i hit 4000 rpms and it shifts in to 2nd i barc my tires doin 35-40 down the road.... about how much will 410s cost??? and i want to put 33" tires on but no bigger then that....

Quick Reply: what should i get???