Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????

i called my HID distributor today and he told me thati cant have a plastic fog light housing with hid's because hes worried the housingmay melt and i've done so much research and i havent got any feeback from anyone thats tried to do the same thing i want to dobut ive got mixed knowledge on HID's in general. some people are saying the housingwill melt, and others are saying i have nothing to worry about at all an it doesnt matter that the housing is plastic. ANYONE withANY knowledge about this PLEASE reply to this thread im dying to get this project going!!!![]
Old January 7th, 2008, 9:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????

i put just normal blue bulbs in my fog light and it melted both of them so im guessing that H.I D bulbs wil do it also.im noty trying to discourage you from buying them because i th9ink that h.i.d' on your fogs would look real good
Old January 7th, 2008, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

so those bulbs you put in were regular 55watt halogen xenon bulbs im assuming. did the bulbs have a filament but were filled with xenon gas to help illuminate brighter and cost you only about 30 bucks or less??? am i right?
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah your exactly right i was thinking thaat it wouldnt happen but it did and now i have to replase both the fog lights
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

yeah those bulbs will give you awhiter look as opposed to regular halogens, but arent comparable to the HID kits with ballasts. the brightness of those bulbs are rediculous. but what im looking for is somone, anyone who has installed the full HID kit complete with ballasts into their plastic OEM foglight housing and if they had any problems with the housing melting. thanks for your feeback silveradolt1
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
CF Active Member

www.ddmtuning.com/ installed them 2 weeks ago & so far no problems.
Attached Thumbnails  will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????-picture-002.jpg    will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????-picture-003.jpg  
Old January 30th, 2010, 5:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hid bulbs wont melt your fog light housing. i have them in my 04 silverado 1500 and no problems yet. if you're worried about it alot, you can get a 35 watt kit by xentec which is what i have. and 55 watt 6k in my headlights and no problems.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 9:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I was thinking about HID's, but this seems like another problem with them
Old February 8th, 2010, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

HID's run cooler than Halogen and should not generate more heat than Halogen. Several people have them in their fogs and I only hear rumors about them actually melting the housings.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 02Z71silverado
i called my hid kits distributor today and he told me thati cant have a plastic fog light housing with hid's because hes worried the housingmay melt and i've done so much research and i havent got any feeback from anyone thats tried to do the same thing i want to dobut ive got mixed knowledge on HID's 30000k hid in general. some people are saying the housingwill melt, and others are saying i have nothing to worry about at all an it doesnt matter that the housing is plastic. ANYONE withANY knowledge about this PLEASE reply to this thread im dying to get this project going!!!![]
The reason it could have happened was because of the ballast. The bulbs might have been different from the ballast, or the kit is just really crappy.

Quick Reply: will HID's melt OEM plastic fog light housing????