Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Wiring harness issue

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2020, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring harness issue

I need to replace a wiring harness on my 2005 silverado LS 1500 4WD. I dont know what it is called so I'm having trouble finding a replacement. It goes from the under hood fuse box to the under dash fuse box and a few other things. Before you ask why, just know that the previous owner tried to install an amp and drilled through the firewall and the wiring harness. Now I have a random shorts and grounds on my 4WD selector as well as other systems. Any ideas on how to find a new one would be helpful.
Old September 18th, 2020, 2:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

You can try the junk yards or try to repair the harness that is there.
Old September 18th, 2020, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 659 Likes on 598 Posts

I remember someone on this forum posting that they had done just that ... drilled through the harness. Maybe they sold the vehicle to you :P

Anyway, I would pull apart the damaged area to see how many wires were actually damaged. If it's not too many , then it may be easier to salvage it.
Old September 21st, 2020, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you are describing a branch of the main body harness. How big is the damaged section like an inch plus diameter or small?

If it is the main body harness, I would do everything possible to try to repair it - even if you have to let an electrical shop handle it. The harness goes everywhere in the truck, meaning you would have to strip everything down to get to all of the connections. And finding a replacement will be very difficult. I can guarantee GM won't have one anymore, and even with junkyards, you would have to have exactly the same option and setup for everything as your truck. Otherwise the replacement harness won't have the same connections or correct sizes.