Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Woman needing help with 700R4 tranmission problem

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Woman needing help with 700R4 tranmission problem

Hi,

First let me say thank you for having this forum.

I am a woman with not alot of experience but willing to learn.

Recently I bought a 1988 silverado 2500 with a 700R4 transmission from a neighbor. I planned on using it to go from the feed store and home-kind a like a beater Truck.

The transmission fluid was low so I added so fluid. Everything was shifting fine for days.

Now all the sudden it is revving very high. It gets to about 30 and that is as fast as it will go. It will not shift out of first.

Is there anyone willing to give me information or offer suggestions?

Thank You
Teddi
Old January 30th, 2011, 4:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually when this happens, and it wont shift from first you back off the throttle and manually shift it from first to second, i dont know what causes this though
Old January 30th, 2011, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Manual Shift

Thank you for the reply. I tried this last night but it did not work. Do you think it may be the speed sensor?
Thank you
Teddi
Old January 30th, 2011, 9:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it may be time for a rebuild...thats why your neighbor sold you the truck.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

It very well may be the time for a rebuild.

Unfortunately it would be no fault of the neighbors. I have driven this truck for years and bought it for $100. There was nothing wrong with it when I got it. They are like family and we have done this before. It is not my primary or back up vehicle but it is good to go get hay and feed. I just need some ideas on what it might be so I can eliminate possibilities. I have read on the computer where this happens alot but I can't get on the sites for the answers as they are not an open board.

Thank you for replying
Teddi
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It wouldnt matter, there is almost nothing a layman can do to this transmission that is an instant remedy. All the components are INSIDE the transmission and there is where the diagnosis begins. But in any event it has to be removed from the car. It is more practical to consider the rebuild and prepare for it.