Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Won't Start NBS

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2009, 6:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start NBS

I know we had alot of post on this awhile back & I have an update (Sort of). I had the problem twice over a year ago & none since. Now it's 100+ in Texas & still no problem she starts every time.Friday I took her to the dealer to have some waranty work (Windshield wiper fluid heater harnes) and as an after thought I told them about it not starting. They found a dead cell in my battery, now I know hot weather is hard on batteries,but to go 1/2 of winter & 1/2 of summer with no problem then have a dead cell? Was it dead a year ago and was still starting her?

Charlie
Old June 29th, 2009, 9:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Extreme heat and high humidity tend to take their toll on battery connections and wires.

Check your negative cable and your engine/firewall ground strap particularly carefully.

Late 06, all 07,all 08, half of 09 is almost three years, the bare minimum for corroded cables and wires under optimum conditions.

I would suspect the engine ground strap, especially if the truck gets offroad use.
Old June 29th, 2009, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the info, but I work with batteries everyday. My truck had the first issue of not starting with 15,000 miles I had the radio on about 25 min. between sesions at the track. Turned it off & no lights were left on & it was dead when I tried to start it. Next time I was on the track helping tear down after a MC race with my flashers on (not longer than 1 hour) & it was dead again. This was last summer in Texas & yes it was hot,but after we got it started it was fine the next 10,000 miles. Summer & winter as an after thought I had the dealer look at it & it had a bad cell, but it was still starting every day in 100+ heat.
I know in some older post alot of NBS Silverado owners were having the same problem & was just trying to give an update & see if anyone else was still having the problem!
All your points are valid, & someone withan older Silverado may find them of use.

Thanks Again
Charlie
Old June 29th, 2009, 9:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas1955
Thanks for the info, but I work with batteries everyday. My truck had the first issue of not starting with 15,000 miles I had the radio on about 25 min. between sesions at the track. Turned it off & no lights were left on & it was dead when I tried to start it. Next time I was on the track helping tear down after a MC race with my flashers on (not longer than 1 hour) & it was dead again. This was last summer in Texas & yes it was hot,but after we got it started it was fine the next 10,000 miles. Summer & winter as an after thought I had the dealer look at it & it had a bad cell, but it was still starting every day in 100+ heat.
I know in some older post alot of NBS Silverado owners were having the same problem & was just trying to give an update & see if anyone else was still having the problem!
All your points are valid, & someone withan older Silverado may find them of use.

Thanks Again
Charlie

If you're so knowledgable about batteries, why are you asking questions about them?
Rivereye posted some very good info that DOES apply to your truck. I have seen poor grounds cause funky things at 100km....So even you're NBS may find them of use at at least 25000 miles.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
CF Active Member

Default Thank you

All I'm saying is I along with someother people have had battery problems. If it was a bad ground why would it start for the next year (0) -(110)F because bad grounds do not fix them selves. Also the dealer said I had a dead cell, but the truck started in HOT & Cold weather?

Charlie
PS
Yes I know alot about Batteries, but not the wiring on my 2007 Silverado! Now my 55 I can take it apart & put it back togeather blindfolded. I also know the wiring inside out & it does not have a computer? Hummm could that be the problem?