Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

YoungChevyEnthusistNEEDS HELP!

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2007, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YoungChevyEnthusistNEEDS HELP!

Hey hows it going? Glad to finally find a website that I can relate to. Anyways new member but have a very confusing question(well confusing to me) but I have a 2000 chevy silverado 1500,4x2,flowmaster(Series 50) exhaust and a k&n cone filter. Well my question is that recently the temperature gauge goes all the way to red and it sounds easy but a couple of months ago it was doing the same but I replaced the thermostat (to my friends advice) but not its doing it again, but only some days, others its fine like normal.Please Help One last thing it also heats up when standing still but in drive its fine. Please help struggling student as it is...........................................
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YoungChevyEnthusistNEEDS HELP!

This may sound obvious to some, but sometimes its the obvious that bites us in the ***.... whens the last time you check your coolant level? It could very well be low and could cause the symptoms of which you speak. Also when's the last time the radiator and coolant system was flushed and cleaned with a good cleanser? Old nasty coolant would make everything else in the system work a bit harder and wouldn't cool as well.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YoungChevyEnthusistNEEDS HELP!

If it heats up while standing, but cools while moving, that would seem to indicate that air is not being pulled through the radiator by the fan. Have you checked the fan clutch for slippage. You should be able to tell by looking at it while idling whether it's turning fast enough to pull air. Have you checked the front of the radiator for blockage that would keep the air from flowing through it?

Another possibility is that thecoolant is not moving through the radiator while at idle speed. That could be due to a faulty pump or some obstruction in the system.