Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

08 Aveo 5 LT - odometer display "fractured", light is out...

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Aveo 5 LT - odometer display "fractured", light is out...

My Aveo 5 LT odometer frequently displays "fractured" numbers: Light tapping on the outer lens seems to "snap" them back into full display... and the light bulb that illuminates the odometer is out.

Anyone know how to get in there and replace the bulb, please?

And is the odometer itself replaceable, or would that require a complete speedo head... and if replaced, is it possible to adjust to the accurate mileage that is presently on the vehicle?

Thanks, all!
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Have you contacted the dealership? They will be able to change the bulb for you. And at the dealership they will also be able to tell you about adjusting the accurate mileage. If you are still under the bumper to bumper warranty, the dealership would be the best source to start with anyways. This would probably be more efficient than trying to do it yourself. I am not sure if the part is covered, but if it is it could more cost efficient as well.

Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Assistance.
Old August 29th, 2011, 1:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ResqDogz
My Aveo 5 LT odometer frequently displays "fractured" numbers: Light tapping on the outer lens seems to "snap" them back into full display... and the light bulb that illuminates the odometer is out.

Anyone know how to get in there and replace the bulb, please?

And is the odometer itself replaceable, or would that require a complete speedo head... and if replaced, is it possible to adjust to the accurate mileage that is presently on the vehicle?

Thanks, all!
Sounds like loose connection. I'd say you will probably have to pull the dash. Replacing the odometer isn't that simple as you will more than likley have to get one from the dealer with your exsisting mileage already on it, or flashed to a new one however they do it. More than likley it is a loose connection causing all of it. I am unclear with "modern cars" regarding speedometer odometer issue such as replacing the odometer/speedometer. Used to be those were matched set.

Last edited by kevinkpk; August 29th, 2011 at 1:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old August 30th, 2011, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

At 80,000 miles, I seriously doubt it's covered under warranty...despite being a fairly common problem. S'far as changing the bulb, I believe I'll tackle that one myself: Guaranteed $100 charge, from the dealer here...

To my understanding, one has to order the odometer through a dealership, and provide the current mileage so that it can be "preset" before shipping and installation...

Last time I had a customer service issue with GM/Chevrolet over this vehicle - they refused to compensate for out-of-pocket expenses (vehicle was covered under a "certified" extended warranty by GM)... offering instead a "transmission flush", which was not needed at the time. When the appropriate mileage WAS arrived at (per the manufacturer's schedule), and I sought to take advantage of the flush they replied "too late: offer's expired!"...

Love the car - it's been good to me, so far... except the fuel economy is dismal - which is why I just imported a 2004 Toyota Echo RS 5-door hatchback from Canada (returning 40~45 mpg, without fail): We were never given the opportunity to buy this vehicle in the US... despite the fact that it exceeds both our domestic emissions AND safety standards, has a VVT-i (variable valve, intelligent timing) power plant the does 0~60 in less that 9 seconds while achieving such remarkable MPG...

On my best (conservative) day ever, I could never exceed 30 mpg with the Aveo.. mostly experiencing and average of 25~26 mpg in mixed (70/30 - highway/city) driving...
Old August 31st, 2011, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

If anyone has suggestions for where to find a reasonable cluster replacement, I'd be most appreciative: Local dealership tells me - depending on what the identification numbers on the cluster back are - the price ranges from $200 ~ $500, as the odometer is apparently NOT available as a stand-alone component (you have to replace the entire cluster)!

I've seen used units advertised for @ $120, but then I'd have to emend the title to reflect "mileage unknown"... not something I'd care to do.