Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2004 aveo timing belt

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2008, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 aveo timing belt

my 04 aveo has 67K miles and timing belt broke, and wrecked the engine. i want to join the class action suit against gm as i have read over 20 people's same complaint in the last five minutes......a big big problem.
Old April 14th, 2008, 7:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2004 aveo timing belt

Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't think the lawsuit will go anywhere. It states very clearly in the owners manual to replace the timing belt at 60K. You got 7k more than you should have

This excerpt taken directly from the 2004 Cheverolet Aveo Owners Manual

60,000Miles (100000km)
[ol][align=left]Change engine oil and filter (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). An Emission Control Service. [/align][align=left]
Replace passenger compartment air filter. If you drive regularly under dusty conditions, the filter may require replacement more often.[/align][align=left]
Replace engine air cleaner filter. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter for more information.[/align][align=left]
Rotate tires. See Tire Inspection and Rotation for proper rotation pattern and additional information. (See footnote +.) [/align][align=left]
Replace spark plugs. An Emission Control Service. [/align][align=left]
Replace spark plug wires. An Emission Control Service. [/align][align=left]
Inspect drive belt(s).[/align][align=left]
Replace timing belt.[/align][align=left]
Drain, flush, and refill cooling system. This service can be complex; you should have your dealer perform this service. See Engine Coolant for what to use. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap, and neck. Pressure test the cooling system and pressure cap. An Emission Control Service. [/align][align=left]
Inspect EVAP canister and vapor lines. Replace EVAP vent solenoid valve.An Emission Control Service. (See footnote †.) [/align][align=left]
Inspect PCV system. An Emission Control Service. (See footnote †.) [/align][align=left]
Change brake/clutch fluid (or every 24months, whichever occurs first).[/align][/ol]
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

True that man. Just because you buy a cheaper car doesn't mean you don't put money into routine maintenance. Any time you buy a car with an interference engine you should be especially careful about replacing the timing belt on a regular basis. (50,000 miles for me) And again, not to be a dick but the engine isn't ruined, just the head. Routine maintenance will take care of almost any problem long before it even has a chance of happening.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all, i just wanted to let everyone know that my '04 Aveo broke the timing belt at 54,000 so they covered it under my warrenty, i have owned daewoo's in the past and the timing belts do break often, and i havent figured out why.