Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2009 Chevy Aveo5 U0401 Trouble code

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Aveo5 U0401 Trouble code

I got a 2009 Chevy Aveo5 with 101,000 miles. Well I got the car pretty cheap and one of the issues that keeps coming up is the U0401 Code "Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM "A"", well I'll be going down the road and the hold on the dash with start flashing I would loose A/C and the Thermostat stops working. I already know my thermostat is stuck open and so I'm going to replace that cause I got a P2181 and a P0128. I don't know if that would cause the U0401 code. The car was in a collision with a dear before I bought it. The radiator support mount was repaired. I don't know if that would cause it either maybe if some wire was cut or whoever repaired it disconnected something. I can reset the engine codes and everything is normal for about 50 miles then it comes back on. Also got a P0016 which I know is the Crankshaft, Camshaft sensors. I don't know if any of this could cause it, but I'm just trying to give all the details of whats going on.
Old June 26th, 2019, 12:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Wyandt
I got a 2009 Chevy Aveo5 with 101,000 miles. Well I got the car pretty cheap and one of the issues that keeps coming up is the U0401 Code "Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM "A"", well I'll be going down the road and the hold on the dash with start flashing I would loose A/C and the Thermostat stops working. I already know my thermostat is stuck open and so I'm going to replace that cause I got a P2181 and a P0128. I don't know if that would cause the U0401 code. The car was in a collision with a dear before I bought it. The radiator support mount was repaired. I don't know if that would cause it either maybe if some wire was cut or whoever repaired it disconnected something. I can reset the engine codes and everything is normal for about 50 miles then it comes back on. Also got a P0016 which I know is the Crankshaft, Camshaft sensors. I don't know if any of this could cause it, but I'm just trying to give all the details of whats going on.

U0401 Fault Symptoms :

1. Check engine light comes on
  2. Engine stalling or misfiring
  3. Engine performance issues
  4. Car not starting

U0401 engine trouble code is a sort of network trouble code and U0401 code can be about replacing a broken oxygen sensor which can eventually lead to a burned up catalytic convertor. There are other thing that can set this code off, but this seems most common.
Old June 26th, 2019, 9:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like there's a short somewhere. GM also has issues with defective fuse blocks in various models. The copper wires inside them start developing breaks that sometimes only show up when the engine bay warms up.

A good code reader that can read GM specific modules might provide more information that doesn't show up with a standard OBDII reader.
Old August 24th, 2019, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Wyandt
I got a 2009 Chevy Aveo5 with 101,000 miles. Well I got the car pretty cheap and one of the issues that keeps coming up is the U0401 Code "Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM "A"", well I'll be going down the road and the hold on the dash with start flashing I would loose A/C and the Thermostat stops working. I already know my thermostat is stuck open and so I'm going to replace that cause I got a P2181 and a P0128. I don't know if that would cause the U0401 code. The car was in a collision with a dear before I bought it. The radiator support mount was repaired. I don't know if that would cause it either maybe if some wire was cut or whoever repaired it disconnected something. I can reset the engine codes and everything is normal for about 50 miles then it comes back on. Also got a P0016 which I know is the Crankshaft, Camshaft sensors. I don't know if any of this could cause it, but I'm just trying to give all the details of whats going on. If you are looking for the best battery maintainer, visit this site to find the suitable one.
Let check your battery or alternator if there is any issue with them. Also you can check to see if you have water on the passenger side getting to the smart junction box. It also cause this issue.