Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

aveo tire wear

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aveo tire wear

I bought a 2008 aveo5 at the end of January and have replaced tires on it twice. It has 21xxx miles and was aligned at 12xxx when the first set of replacement tires were installed. Is this something that I should expect or not? I found another forum online where a couple of people have had a problem like this. Hopefully, there is some good news out there for me. Thanks.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: aveo tire wear

With stock rims, the tire patch on the road is pretty small. If you're a lead foot or have the five speed, you'll go through tires faster (I'm both).

Just try to take it a little easier on takeoffs and go a little slower around corners. Also pick up 80,000 or 60,000 mile tires next time you go tire shopping. There's no way they'll last that long, but they'll last longer than the cheap ones. Don't get them siped (or whatever they're calling it when they cut more grooves), and don't get soft grip racing tires.

I get about 2 years on mine (about 25,000 miles).
Old May 5th, 2010, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default aveo tires

I have a 2006 aveo sedan with sport package. 15in rims 185/55/r15 low profile tires. I am at 72500 kms and only now am i needing new tires as they are just coming to the wear bars.
Old May 13th, 2010, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

I was kind of wondering this, too. My front tires are past the wear bars but back look like new (8500 miles)

Figured it was just me [my driving style] (it is? I take it..)
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Did you ever rotate your tires? It is recommended every 5-10,000 miles to wear the tires more evenly.
Old May 28th, 2010, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thymeclock is right on the money. You really need to rotate the tires every 5-10 thousand miles on this car to maximize your tire wear. I have found that the front tires seem to wear a lot faster than the rear tires so I rotate right at 5000 miles and that seems to be working pretty well to keep the wear rate even front to back.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 3:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all front wheel drive cars wear out the fronts fast, there are a lot of forces put on them, they drive the car, steer the car, and do a majority of the braking, rotate as soon as wear is distingushable from front to back to get the most out of your tires
Old September 10th, 2010, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 305pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="407"><col style="width: 305pt;" width="407"><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl63" style="height: 12.75pt; width: 305pt;" height="17" width="407">Nowadays, buyers are looking for the cheap cars, even they don’t know about the quality. But I will suggests to turn to Chevrolet Brand which is affordable and good quality.
</td> </tr></table>
Old September 20th, 2010, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Usually the Aveo comes with Kumoh tires and they simply suck ***. I had to change them also at 20k miles. Now I have 50k miles with bridgestone tires and they have still a couple more miles.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 aveo5 excessive tire wear

I bought a 2009 Aveo5 brand new. It now has 29k miles on it, and I have replaced all four tires on it twice. All sets of tires have been rotated on schedule on the car and the tires that are on there now are due to be replaced. The dealership I bought the car from has given me a number of excuses including: "It's the quality of tires you are buying", "You must be driving too aggressively", and "You must not have been checking the air pressure regularly" The factory tires on the car were showing metal threads at 7k. I replaced them with Firestones. I also do not think its possible to drive that car so aggressively (4cyl auto) that it wears tires that fast. I am very dissatisfied with the way the dealership has handled this issue, which thus far has been to do nothing but blame the issue on me. I will never purchase another Chevy. The best part is that this isn't the only issue I've had with the car. Its been aligned over 10 times, it has had several electrical problems and tomorrow it is going to the dealership for the 4th time for a spark plug issue. This car is a total piece of crap.

Quick Reply: aveo tire wear