Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Aveo Valve CoverOpen Inlet?

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aveo Valve CoverOpen Inlet?

Hello, newbie here so go easy. I have a question about my 2004 Aveo SVM, Manual, no-air, no-cruise, bare-bones vehicle. 1.6L engine, 24,100 miles. I was cleaning up the engine compartment and I noticed an open vacuum hose nipple on the valve cover, about 1.5 inches to the right of the PVC valve (to the right when standing in front and facing engine) No evidence of an unplugged hose anywhere. On some pictures i found on the web there is a hose that runs to the intake manifold, connected to the bottom hole out of the three. The bottom inlet in my manifold is plugged. My question is, should my inlet on the valve cover also be plugged? Would appreciate an explanation of what this hose is for and why some have it and some don't.

Thanks

I put a piece of paper underneath it to make it stand out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19232/8EAB42904F344D8B8A79C435AC8BFE43.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duh...I think I solved this "mystery"!!!

Spoke with a friend this morning and he suggested that maybe ALL valve covers were CAST the same way and that MAYBE this hole was then DRILLED out only for certain models. I do not have any sophisticated way to check for vacuum or exhausting other than my finger or a piece of paper in front of the hole, using these there did not seem to be any noticeable air movement.

On the advice of my friend (Can't believe I didn't think of thisduh!) I straightened out a paper clip and tried to push it into the hole. It went in about a 1/4 inch and hit SOLID! I don't know why some engines would have this plugged and some not, but it appears it is a non-issue.