Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Check Engine Light Appeared Overnight?

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2017, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Appeared Overnight?

Hi all. I've got a 2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.8L. Sunday I got an oil change at Valvoline, drove home fine. That night I restarted my car and the check engine light came on. Drove it a short distance, the engine went rough and stuttering, check engine light started flashing. I pulled over and got towed to my dealership. Found out the coil pack needed replacing due to a misfire, $330-ish total.

So they finish repairing it yesterday. I go to pick it up this morning, start the car, the check engine light is still on. They check the car again and tell me that somehow overnight, after the codes were supposedly already cleared and without being driven, there's now a problem with the thermostat/heater, and it'll be another $350-ish to fix that.

The tech said it won't hurt the car to drive it around with this thermostat problem. Is this true? Also, how could the car spontaneously generate a problem overnight? Did they break something and don't want to admit it?

I appreciate any advice, thanks!
Old September 29th, 2017, 8:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Information for GATES 34710

The thermostat is a common problem with Aveo / early Sonic . Around $ 60 + freight from RockAuto.com for a Gates brand part .

Wyr
God bless
Old September 29th, 2017, 9:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Have the dealership make it right Have them fix it