Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Cooling Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2016, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Issues

I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic, 5-speed manual tranny, which I JUST LOVE... HOWEVER... I have a cooling fan issue. The fan runs when it shouldn't. The shop I had my car in to said that is normal, when you have the A/C or defroster on. I don't have either on. It's now so bad, that it runs all the time, and even when I shut my car off, it will continue to run! What I am wondering... is this covered under my powertrain warranty? I can't afford to bring it in to the dealership, unless it is. The shop I've gone to seems to be at a loss. The dealership should know how to fix it, right?

Can anyone answer these questions? I see many have viewed the post, but I'm still hoping for answers.

Last edited by lilspitfire; March 22nd, 2016 at 9:05 AM. Reason: no response
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

You say it continues to run after you shut the engine off. How long does it continue to run? Is it for a few minutes or for ever? If the engine is at a high temp when engine is shut off then the fan will continue to run for a few minutes to cool down. If it runs for a long time after then maybe the temperature sensor is bad.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Oh a reply! Thank you!!! I'll try to explain it better. I'm in MN... it's cold out. I start the car, and the fan will immediately come on. It will continue to run a good couple of minutes, when I turn my car off, as well. The engine light is on now, and when I had it in to the shop, they said the error codes were the thermostat. I had purchased the assembly (stupid.. can't buy just a simple thermostat for this car) but they said it's not that, so never installed it. The engine light goes out intermittently and then back on again. It has stayed on now, and the fan issue seems worse. So I was hoping this would fall under the power train warranty, as my bumper to bumper is no longer. The dealership is SO EXPENSIVE, but they most likely can fix it, compared to the shop I had it in to previously. Make more sense?
Old March 25th, 2016, 1:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspitfire
Oh a reply! Thank you!!! I'll try to explain it better. I'm in MN... it's cold out. I start the car, and the fan will immediately come on. It will continue to run a good couple of minutes, when I turn my car off, as well. The engine light is on now, and when I had it in to the shop, they said the error codes were the thermostat. I had purchased the assembly (stupid.. can't buy just a simple thermostat for this car) but they said it's not that, so never installed it. The engine light goes out intermittently and then back on again. It has stayed on now, and the fan issue seems worse. So I was hoping this would fall under the power train warranty, as my bumper to bumper is no longer. The dealership is SO EXPENSIVE, but they most likely can fix it, compared to the shop I had it in to previously. Make more sense?
Welcome to the forum, lilspitfire!

Although we love to hear that you’ve been loving your Sonic, we’re saddened to learn you’ve been experiencing these cooling fan concerns. We’d be happy to review what options are available to you should you decide you’d like to take your Chevy to the dealership. We will just need your VIN, mileage, full contact information and preferred dealership sent to us via private message.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

It could still be the temperature sensor. You can also take it to Autozone or Advance Auto and they will read the codes for you for free.
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you, Helen. I actually did finally just bring it in to where I purchased the car. I have to give a shout out, if I may... Wilcox Cadillac and Chevrolet in Forest Lake, MN... class act!!! They treated me well, provided me with a fine loaner car, and repaired my car at the least cost to me, that they could. I'm glad to have my baby back and running smoothly!!!!!
Old March 30th, 2016, 8:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

post what the repair was. this will help other members.
Old March 31st, 2016, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

My apologies... obviously, I didn't think of that... they replaced the Cooling Housing Assembly, along with a few other things, that included a wire that had been pulled out (we think by the previous shop) along with the air intake tube, that was clearly damaged, again due to the extent of this damage... done by the previous shop. Again, I am very pleased with the treatment I received from Wilcox Cadillac & Chevrolet. My car is running great! And they stand behind their services. There was a minor issue that came back with my radio, from the detailing I had done. They are replacing the radio!
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

Good to hear you are being treated well . :-)

I would have repaired things myself .

Live long and prosper . :-)

God bless
Wyr