Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Desperate! Replacing engine oil cooler but it won't stop leaking!

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2022, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate! Replacing engine oil cooler but it won't stop leaking!

I am literally in the middle of replacing my engine oil cooler oil filter housing assembly on my '13 sonic lt. I removed the old one and installed the new one. Before reinstalling anything else, I poured water into the coolant tank to make sure the leak was taken care of. I don't want to have to reinstall all the parts and then have to remove them again if still leaking. Well it's still leaking. A lot.I had filled it with coolant thinking I was almost done and in 3 minutes it dumped it all out. I can't see where it's coming from. I removed it and reinstalled it again and still leaking. I used gasket maker around all the openings were the inlet and outlet pipes connect to the oil cooler and it's still leaking! Idk what to do. Help!

Last edited by Rockabetty78; June 7th, 2022 at 11:10 PM.
Old June 8th, 2022, 8:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Before you can fix the leak you have find where it is leaking. Clean everything real good and refill. Then watch closely to find where the leak is. If it dumped it all out in 3 minutes, it is a pretty bad leak which should be easier to find.
Old June 13th, 2022, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it actually looked like it was leaking from the the cooler itself so I put gasket maker all around the the cooler where it meets with the housing, around the coolant pipes where they go into the cooler and around each o ring and installed it. It stopped leaking...till last night. I don't get it! What am I doing wrong??
Old June 13th, 2022, 4:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Is it leaking from the joints where the lines connect to the cooler? You might to use new orings and thread sealer. Also check to make sure the connections were not cross threaded damaging the threads themself. If it is leaking from the cooler itself, you will probably need a new cooler.