Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2015, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12-23-15 Chevy service at dealership

Today I brought in my 2012 Cruze for a diagnostic check regarding generic engine code PO597. I have not received the recommended actions from the dealership yet but the problem began after I brought my car in for a 30,000 mi service at about 35,000 mi. Now my car is out of warranty and this problem has caused an intermittent check engine light to persist for the past 3 months. Only now has it stayed on for about a week which had prompted the service. Can anyone tell me if this issue is always the water pump and covered by the power train warranty?
Old January 4th, 2016, 9:04 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

tech2- A customer who purchases a product especially something expensive like an automobile that is constantly having problems shortly after the manufacturer warranty expires and is something that is not older than 5 years old as well as other consumers having the same problems then yes the Company in this case being General Motors should cover the cost of the repairs not the consumers when it is a known problem. Your statement about your furnace has nothing to do with Chevrolet vehicles besides your furnace was likely older than these vehicles mentioned SO STOP being so BITTER toward Chevrolet vehicle owners which is no fault of their own problems that are rare is one thing but when they are constantly repeated for consumer after consumer then the Company in this case being General Motors needs to issue recalls INSTEAD OF COVERING IT UP ALL THE TIME. YOU SOUND LIKE A TECH WHO JUST LIKES TO COLLECT A PAYCHECK AND COULD CARELESS ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMERS SO DON'T WORRY YOU WILL NOT BE SERVICING MY VEHICLE. Have yourself a Happy New Year 2016.!

uknos

Originally Posted by tech2
my furnace broke down last winter...they didn't fix that for free. Someone has to pay for the technician wages for the time that is spent determining the root cause.
Why should an independent business owner have to pay to fix your car?
The warranty has very clear time and mileage expirations. If you out, its on you.
complaining after the warranty expiration...ethical and fair?
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

I'm very upset with Chevy and my dealer. Our 2009 Aveo has had check engine light issues, has run poorly, poor gas mileage, and useless heater since it was new. Several visits to the dealer helped a bit with the engine running, but the check engine light would always come back on. now after six years, we had a two man shop mechanic look at it, and though the diagnostic showed a few other issues, but not thermostat, he figured it out quickly, and replaced the stat. we now have good gas consumption, better performance, and a good heater. WTF chevy dealership?
Old February 29th, 2016, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Cruze P0597

My check engine light came on about 2 weeks ago. I tightened the gas cap on the off chance that would work and the light went off. Yay!

Now, it went on again today. I had the code pulled P0597.

I called the dealer who said it would be a $99 diagnostic fee and then about $300 to fix. When I called the service guy didn't even look up my vehicle by VIN or anything.

I bought the car certified pre-owned a year and a half ago but now have about 65,000 miles on it.

Seems a little crazy to pay $99 diagnostic and then $300 on top of that to fix.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Old March 1st, 2016, 5:23 AM
CF Active Member

2012 Cruze 1.8l - tstat shows from about $ 53 to about $ 66 .

I would replace it myself .

God bless
Wyr
Old May 19th, 2016, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

I am currently at a Chevy dealership and very disturbed at reading this forum on the same problem I am having. I have a check engine light and brought it in to the dealership. Was not having any engine difficulties. They charged me $130 to check the issue and came up with 3 codes that point to theronstat. They want another $230 to replace the theronstat. I refuse them to do the repair and pay $230 when after reading this forum there is so many others having this same issue a cross many different Chevy vehicles.

Chevy, if you are listening, you will lose me to your brand if you do nothing about this. For me to pay out $360 to replace a theronstat when this is a on going issue tells me you do not stand behind your brand. I have a 2012 Chevy sonic with about 75,000 miles

Chevy are you listening??? It's the sound on me walking out of the dealership.
Old May 20th, 2016, 3:51 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by buarboy
I am currently at a Chevy dealership and very disturbed at reading this forum on the same problem I am having. I have a check engine light and brought it in to the dealership. Was not having any engine difficulties. They charged me $130 to check the issue and came up with 3 codes that point to theronstat. They want another $230 to replace the theronstat. I refuse them to do the repair and pay $230 when after reading this forum there is so many others having this same issue a cross many different Chevy vehicles.

Chevy, if you are listening, you will lose me to your brand if you do nothing about this. For me to pay out $360 to replace a theronstat when this is a on going issue tells me you do not stand behind your brand. I have a 2012 Chevy sonic with about 75,000 miles

Chevy are you listening??? It's the sound on me walking out of the dealership.

Why did you not read the codes yourself then proceed to do the repair yourself ? ( Use this as an opportunity to flush / drain out the old coolant and replace it with new . )

It is not rocket science .

Outside of warranty repairs , the dealership would be my last choice to have repairs done . My first choice is to do the repairs myself , if it is something I can do .

Now , after ranting about this , I agree , Chevy should do a recall and fix them free . It is a design error / fault .

God bless
Wyr
Old July 18th, 2016, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic and I am getting the P0597 code as well. I have only power train warranty left and when calling the dealership they also want $130 just to diagnose the issue. You would think that with so many having the issue on these same vehicles they would perform a recall of sorts. I am very disappointed with my last 2 vehicles that have been Chevy and I will never buy Chevy again.
Old August 29th, 2016, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have a Chevy aveo 2010 with 58,000 miles and the check engine light has been coming on and going off for the past month. I took it to have it checked and received a code of P0597. After looking at this site I noticed quite a few Chevys with this issue. Is it covered by the power train warranty or not.
Old September 5th, 2016, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

The light of my 2012 sonic turned on yesterday and I brought it to Autozone and they found out the error code PO957. It seems that Chevy has a lot of PO957 problem.

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)