Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2015, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping noise

Okay, so I'm generally sure its the CV joint, but its snowing and I cant inspect it. It's a 2004 Aveo with 53k miles and when I turn right, only while giving it gas, there is a thumping sound that sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, but then again its a small car so the sound echos and its hard to tell. Is there any sure way to figure out what causes the noise beside a mechanic?
Old December 5th, 2015, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default solved

The whole CV boot ended up falling off after the first snow, must have been dry rotted. Ended up replacing the boot, luckily the CV joint was in good condition and didn't require replacement as well. Catch it early folks, it was a pain to just replace the boot.
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SeanA
The whole CV boot ended up falling off after the first snow, must have been dry rotted. Ended up replacing the boot, luckily the CV joint was in good condition and didn't require replacement as well. Catch it early folks, it was a pain to just replace the boot.
My 2008 Aveo is making a similar noise.... I think it sounds like a Pop. But could be described as a thump, I guess. Do you think that's what could wrong with mine. When I take left turns & go over bumps my right rear side makes the Pop noise. How much did it cost to fix the problem you were having?
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Courtney Willett
My 2008 Aveo is making a similar noise.... I think it sounds like a Pop. But could be described as a thump, I guess. Do you think that's what could wrong with mine. When I take left turns & go over bumps my right rear side makes the Pop noise. How much did it cost to fix the problem you were having?
Also, I've seen & heard that on ALOT of Aveos esp 2004-2006 that the timing belts are breaking around 50-60,000miles & basically blowing the valves. So if you haven't already....Get the timing belt changed. Chevy recalled the timing belts yrs ago when it first started happening.
Old May 21st, 2016, 8:06 AM
CF Active Member

An aftermarket half shaft runs form around $ 32 to $ 64 + freight from RockAuto.com . If you have to pull a half shaft , most people replace them instead of repair them .

God bless
Wyr