Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Timing Belt Warning Issue for all Aveo Owners

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aveo timeing belt issues

I have an 04 Aveo and the tlming belt let go the first time at 57,000 miles and I just had it replace again at 115,000 miles. Has anyone had the same problem? I had to get the General Attorney's office get involved the first time so I could get reimbursed the $1600 it cost. Has anyone collected twice. I can't afford another $1600
Old May 15th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

I am surprised that they covered you the first time. The timing belt failing on this car before the 60000 miles is a fairly common problem. Chevy will not stand behind this car, it should have been recalled for this timiing belt design /failure problem. Good luck on your quest, as if this belt broke while you were driving it, it is highly there will be some engine damage.
Old June 18th, 2012, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

We have a 2005 timing gave out at 45.000 miles but it was the tensioner that gave out wish tore up belt, had head work done and i have 110.000 miles on it now after reading this post i better change it right away.....
Old June 9th, 2013, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default timing belt

I have a 07 Aveo and have 91,000 miles on it. Is it common for the belt to last so long. Do I need to take it to the dealer to do and if so..how much approx. will it cost? Also..do I need to do the water pump as suggested?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Our 2008 Aveo has 34,000 miles on it. I happen to peak through the bottom of the timing belt cover and noticed the belt has a 1/8 inch split in it. I will not take it another mile without changing the belt. My sister and brother in law had the belt break in their Aveo just shortly after 80,000 miles. They found it too costly to repair. The way they described it to me it sounds like once the belt broke the valves hit the pistons. Big OOps, remember I stated that our Aveo only has 34,000 miles and the warning signs are already there.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Greasemonk,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. Have you been to your dealership for a diagnosis yet?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 3rd, 2013, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

In response to Erica Tiffany (Chevrolet Customer Service):
Thank for your concern, I plan to see if this issue is covered under warranty. Although the mileage is still relatively low it is a 2008 and I seriously doubt it will be covered. If it is I'll bring it in on a trailer. If it is not then I will make the repair myself. No problem, I'm certainly qualified, I received a Degree in Automotive Technology many years ago and ran my own automotive repair service for many years before I retired.

Again, "Thank You" Erica
Old July 3rd, 2013, 7:45 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Greasemonk Welcome to the forum...
IF you can take and post a few pictures of what you see and please do follow up with the forum on the repair if you do it or have it done...
Old July 3rd, 2013, 2:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Greasemonk,

You are welcome. Your powertrain warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. But please check with your dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 5th, 2013, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

On July 2nd I wrote that our Aveo has 34,000 miles on it. I took that off the top of my head while I was posting to this forum. Yesterday I verified the mileage and found that this Aveo has 37,000 miles on it. Please accept my apology. That being said; the fact still remains the belt should not have a 1/8 inch split in it at 37,000 miles.

To: in2pro
Yes, I will do as you wish, I will follow up with photos and outcome.

To: Erica
The information that you provide is informative. What blows my mind is that you really care. I hope you go places, those in your higher echelon should know that you are proactive and that you are certainly great for business!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Warning Issue for all Aveo Owners