Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Venting again

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2013, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting again

Time to vent again. Our 2010 Aveo is due for its spark plugs to be changed again. (my wife drives a lot) For reasons that I do not understand, GM decided to not use platinum plugs in this particular model. That is neither here nor there, so back to my story. I changed the original plugs at about 25,000 miles. At that time, I had no problems finding the replacement NGK plugs. The car was recalled at about 38,000 miles to have the spark plug boots on the coil pack replaced. When we got the car back, I was informed that the spark plugs were also changed, to a different heat range. At my request, the dealer gave me one of the empty boxes so that I would know what to buy next time. I went to both of our local auto parts stores, looking for the replacement plugs. Neither place had them on stock and neither store could even get them. Their computers still listed the original plug. It now looks like the new spark plugs are a dealer item only. The last time that I vented on this site,(about the outrageous cost of an air intake snorkel) a reader offered that I should check out a web site called GM parts direct. I went there and found them listed!!!! Cool, they can be delivered right to my door. Trouble is that they are only available in a package of 8 and I need just 4. I took a chance and ordered 8 of them anyway. If they fit, I'll use the other half next time, if they don't, the joke is on me. The best part is that the price for eight was a little bit less than the dealer wanted for 4 plugs. I wonder what will be next with this little jewel of GM technology.
Old April 16th, 2013, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who is interested: I received my spark plugs today from GMpartsdirect.com. The good news is that they were the right plugs and they were substantially cheaper than what the dealer wanted. I just cant win though. The web site only listed them in a package of 8 but they came packaged in two separate boxes of 4. Oh well, I now have spark plugs for the next 50 to 60K.