Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

What causes Chevy Sonic Front End Shake/Vibrate after 60mph?

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2018, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes Chevy Sonic Front End Shake/Vibrate after 60mph?

I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic. Car has been driving great up until after I had the timing belt changed. Car only has 109K on it, but when I get up to 60mph the car shakes violently until I hit 70mph, then it kind of plateaus. Please help because I dont even know here to begin to troubleshoot regarding this car.
Old June 4th, 2018, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

-any lack of power, poor fuel mileage, rough idle or camshaft crankshaft correlation codes ie mil light on?
-does the vibration transmitt into the body of the car or steering wheel
Old June 5th, 2018, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

1) Car is great on gas. No power issues or others complaints. Engine light is not on and oil changes are sone regularly
2) It vibrates to the steering wheel
Old June 5th, 2018, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy2013
1)2) It vibrates to the steering wheel
you have a tire related problem...check the front tires first.
check for mud stuck in the rim...if yes...car wash and powerwash the back of the rim. otherwise...have a shop check for a tire with a broken belt, out of balance tire or tire with radial tire variation...only road force balancing will identify rtv.
Old January 24th, 2020, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

@Troy2013
Originally Posted by Troy2013
Car has been driving great up until after I had the timing belt changed. Car only has 109K on it, but when I get up to 60mph the car shakes violently
Did you ever get this figured out? I just had my timing belt changed, as well as the CV Axles. They already re-replaced at least one of the axel's, and had me put new tires on, but the shaking only seems to be getting worse. I'm wondering if the mechanic can't find the cause due to the possibility that the real problem may lie with the timing chain replacement (it was replaced when we had the water pump done as preventative maintenance, the chain never broke or anything). Any help appreciated!
Thanks