Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

01 burb ac rebuild nightmare. Help needed

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2020, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 burb ac rebuild nightmare. Help needed

I’m having a hell of a time getting this ac working.

the ac shop told me I needed a complete rebuild of my ac system. On my own I replaced the compressor condenser and evaporator and flushed the lines. Before I could pressure test I found out it was missing all the ac fuses. Once those were replaced the compressor would not flip on. Replaced the relay and the compressor would cycle rapidly on and off. Bypassed the pressure and replaced it. Now the system is fully charged and not cooling down at all. Once I plugged the pressure sensor in the ac light flashed 3 times and would not flip on. The truck has a malfunctioning ambient temp sensor.

this project is wearing me down and I would appreciate any help in figuring this mess out.
Old July 13th, 2020, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the correct amount of oil? Have you measured the high and low pressures?
Old July 13th, 2020, 3:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBirdmuffin

the ac shop told me I needed a complete rebuild of my ac system. On my own I replaced the compressor condenser and evaporator and flushed the lines. Before I could pressure test I found out it was missing all the ac fuses. Once those were replaced the compressor would not flip on. Replaced the relay and the compressor would cycle rapidly on and off. Bypassed the pressure and replaced it. Now the system is fully charged and not cooling down at all. Once I plugged the pressure sensor in the ac light flashed 3 times and would not flip on. The truck has a malfunctioning ambient temp sensor.

this project is wearing me down and I would appreciate any help in figuring this mess out.
Is it blowing hot air, or anything out of the vents?
Old July 13th, 2020, 8:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Ambient temp sensor in on the side of the grill. Turn ON the ignition. Simultaneously press the A/C and Recirc switches for 5 seconds.
Old July 14th, 2020, 8:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

I’m having a hell of a time getting this ac working. The ac shop told me I needed a complete rebuild of my ac system.
Maybe because the shop had NO IDEA what was malfunctioning !
Old July 14th, 2020, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Everything is pre oiled and I rented an ac pressure gage to keep an eye on the fill pressures.

I did the reset and got the compressor to start trying to turn but kept cycling off. I replaced the orifice tube and that seems to have been the problem with the compressor not starting. Messing with that tube opened a leak in the accumulator gasket because the part is of ****ty quality. Now I have found that I have both actuator doors failed in the heat position. I tested that by bypassing the heat core and now the air in my roof vents is coming in cold. How ever the air from the dash is not exactly what I would call cold. At this point I have to tear the dash apart to get to the last actuator.

I don’t understand how someone could have ruined every damn part of the air conditioner.

today I am going to pick n pull to find a replacement fastener for the accumulator. Once that leak is closed I will move on to gutting my dash.

I’ll post updates on what I find in case anyone else finds this thread and is having the same problems.
Old July 14th, 2020, 1:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Everything is pre oiled and I rented an ac pressure gage to keep an eye on the fill pressures.

I did the reset and got the compressor to start trying to turn but kept cycling off. I replaced the orifice tube and that seems to have been the problem with the compressor not starting. Messing with that tube opened a leak in the accumulator gasket because the part is of ****ty quality. Now I have found that I have both actuator doors failed in the heat position. I tested that by bypassing the heat core and now the air in my roof vents is coming in cold. How ever the air from the dash is not exactly what I would call cold. At this point I have to tear the dash apart to get to the last actuator.

I don’t understand how someone could have ruined every damn part of the air conditioner.

today I am going to pick n pull to find a replacement fastener for the accumulator. Once that leak is closed I will move on to gutting my dash.

I’ll post updates on what I find in case anyone else finds this thread and is having the same problems.
I have an 03, I had to replace blend door actuator on, but didn't require dash removal.
Old July 14th, 2020, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

There’s a creative way I saw online to access the actuator without taking out the entire dash. Still have to take out the glove box, the bezel, the grab bar, and the top plastic of the dash section. Then it’s just breaking a few clips to get the defroster cover out and then it’s accessable. Everywhere I look it’s always a process to get to the second actuator.
Old July 17th, 2020, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

Ok. I’m officially gonna lose it. I completed the replacement of the ac evap core. And completed the recharge. And the front vents are still not getting cold. If anyone else has any more ideas I’d love to hear it. I’m out of ideas.