Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Suburban Checking In

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2022, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 Suburban Checking In

Howdy everyone. About a year ago, I traded my 2007.5 Duramax for a 20 year old Suburban. The Dmax broke down 3 times in 12 months and was in the shop for 3 months the last go-round. I bought this Suburban as a back-up vehicle, but ultimately I got rid of the Dmax. Too expensive, WAY too difficult to work on.
I'm really liking this 1/2 ton Suburban, I've done quite a bit to it and it's much nicer now than when I bought it.
I've had coolant leaks like crazy but in the process I've replaced almost the entire coolant system. I just replaced both head gaskets 2 weeks ago, this motor is so cheap and easy to work on! Tearing the top end off that LM7 has made me a believer in the LS platform!
The day I bought it:

After removing all the plastic, installing a 2" lift, tow mirrors, some wet sanding and buffing, etc:

I've got some late-model wheels that will go on next year when it's time for new shoes. I'm ripping that big bulky plastic out of the back interior to free up some space and re-doing it a little. After seeing how easy and cheap these LS motors are, I'd like to get a used motor and give it a mild build job before dropping it in. It would be nice to switch the trans to a 4L80E eventually, we'll see. Maybe I should just upgrade to a 3/4 ton.
Going to use this to haul my 3 ton travel trailer across the country next summer. I've only towed once with this truck so far. It sure doesn't tow like that Duramax. It will pull the trailer, it's just not real happy about it.
I think this may be the best generation of Suburban (the GMT800 platform). The fuel injection and computerized stuff works well but it's not so complicated that you can't DIY. Parts are cheap and readily available, everything is easy to get to and work on. I even like this body style a lot. I was a senior in HS when this truck came out so for me, this is like reaching back to my past.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (October 16th, 2022)
Old October 23rd, 2022, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

So, I know about a year ago or so, the Federal Government started putting dudes in prison for tuning ECM's, and when I inquired about tuning on the Duramaxforum, the moderators locked the thread and said that discussing tunes was strictly forbidden. Is that true on this board? Can we discuss tuners?
Old October 28th, 2022, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Nothing?

OK... how about transmissions then? Should I look for a 4l80e or would I be better off just looking for a 3/4 ton?