Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Tahoe choking out on start up

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2019, 7:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe choking out on start up

My 5.3L Tahoe LT vin Z starts very smoothly but the rpm goes to zero within 3 seconds. Most cold starts will not do that but when its at temperature and I allow enough time for the temperature to come down half way then it will choke out. I replaced the PCV valve twice but saw no change. What should I be looking for? I just replaced the plugs and wires thinking it would help too but no improvement there.

Last edited by Makemyenginerun; June 18th, 2019 at 7:31 AM.
Old June 19th, 2019, 1:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Makemyenginerun
My 5.3L Tahoe LT vin Z starts very smoothly but the rpm goes to zero within 3 seconds. Most cold starts will not do that but when its at temperature and I allow enough time for the temperature to come down half way then it will choke out. I replaced the PCV valve twice but saw no change. What should I be looking for? I just replaced the plugs and wires thinking it would help too but no improvement there.
I'd be looking at the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, test your fuel pressure regulator PSI. Might also be crankshaft positioning sensor, EGR valve, or the even the MAF. Sometimes these things dont through a code, which makes it harder to diagnosis the issue..
Old June 19th, 2019, 4:45 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

with oil can, check your fuel pressure