Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 suburban gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2007, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 suburban gas gauge

03 suburban won"t start when gas gauge reads a quarter of atank, if I add a couple of liters of gas it starts right up. Recently changed fuel filter(k/n), filled the tank and then ran it down to a quarter of a tank and again would not start till I added some gas. This last time after I got it running I took it immediately to the gas station and filled it to see how much gas itwould take only could put in about 3/4's the fuel ie. the fuel gauge is reading correctly.Anyone have any ideas before I start replacing the fuel pump assembly???
Old August 19th, 2007, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 03 suburban gas gauge

It happens to my 02 - same exact thing. Recently it's been doing it at just under a full tank of gas. I had to jump on the back of the suburban to get it started. I took it to the dealership and they said the fuel pump was opporating correctly - they could not find the problem. Now from time to time when you push down on the gas it acts like it's running out of fuel. - Again took it to the dealership - they couldn't find any problem. I'm starting to think it's a computer error reading how much fuel is in the tank.
Old August 20th, 2007, 6:03 AM
CF Active Member

My friend's 03 Suburban's gas gauge is all screwed up -- same thing, at about a quarter tank, you were out of fuel. Apparently the senders weren't very good around that point in time. I don't know about this truck, but I just replaced the sender on my wife's old '90 IROC-Z and a new one was more than $300... plus the giant hassle of dropping the fuel tank.

Do you have an idea about the kind of mileage you normally get? Fill it up and see how far you go on a tank, that'll give you an idea. On his truck we could squeeze about 400 miles out of a tank (at the time I was driving it in the mountains in PA).
Old August 20th, 2007, 9:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they alllllllllllllllllll will do it.............its a pickup thing in the tank, and shannon I would say injectors, or maybe easier and cheaper fuel filter, or plugs or something like that how many miles???
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

the gauge is reading correctly beacause as I mentioned right after it did the one time I took it immediately to the service station and filled it up , I could only put in an amount equal to the 3/4's of a tank. In talking it over with a guyat the dealer it sounds more and more like I fried the pump apparently they are cooled by the gas and if you constantly run your fuel down to nearly empty the pump over heats and shortens the life span. According to the guy you should avoid letting it fall below a quarter of a tank whenever possible. Oh well live and learn I guess I have a project for this weekend!!!!!![].
Old August 24th, 2007, 5:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey there,
I was wondering did you happen to check if theres a recall on your burban ,i seen theres a recall for a fuel module maybe thats causing your problem and the chevy dealership will fix for free just gotta drop for the day. goodluck buddy ~flawdafred56ace~

[IMG]local://upfiles/8968/629F45F31B424952A5A1800A115613A0.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I will follow that up Monday!!