Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Tahoe towing issue

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Tahoe towing issue

I have a 2003 Tahoe that has the tow package on it. I went to pull my boat the other day and when I pushed the button on the shifter to turn on the tow helper button (don't know what its called). The light didn't turn on and it did not change the way the transmission is supposed to shift. I pushed it a few times and nothing. It did work last year but I only used it a few times during the spring.
Where to I start to look for the problem or does anybody have a idea what the problem is?
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Pit
I have a 2003 Tahoe that has the tow package on it. I went to pull my boat the other day and when I pushed the button on the shifter to turn on the tow helper button (don't know what its called). The light didn't turn on and it did not change the way the transmission is supposed to shift. I pushed it a few times and nothing. It did work last year but I only used it a few times during the spring.
Where to I start to look for the problem or does anybody have a idea what the problem is?

seems that most times they are dirty, hitting them with air to dust them out sometimes helps. I've also seen reports of wires in the column breaking... the threads are out there but you gotta weed thru them.

I tore all into mine, ended up not doing anything to the wires but it started working again. I found if I pulled it down into 2nd or 1st and hit the button that would sometime get it to trip, and I just did it that way awhile till it started working from D...

:chug:
Old March 8th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks i will dig around and see what I come up with on the older post. I will try that trick tonight and see if that will make it work.
Old March 13th, 2012, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevy Pit
the switch button wire is broke, a common problem, the whole shift lever needs to be replaced
Old March 13th, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

The tow mode button is in the shifter, when u move tilt wheel up & down the wire breaks, common problem on most GM trucks. To solve the problem the whole shifter to the steering column needs to be replaced. just did mine