Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Suburban door lock actuator on rear barn cargo door not actually bad. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2016, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Suburban door lock actuator on rear barn cargo door not actually bad. Now what?

I have an 04 suburban 1500 with dual rear barn doors. The lock actuator for the rear barn doors just suddenly stopped working with the lock switch and remote key fob. I assumed it was the actuator since I have had to replace some in the front doors in the past. So I got a replacement actuator and tried it and it still does not work. I took a little square 9 volt battery and some jumper wires and tested both the old and new actuators and they both work fine. I also had sanded the brass contacts and plates on both rear doors and no help. I have checked fuses also. All the other doors lock fine with the remote and with the door button. The rear door will lock with the key just fine. If I hit lock on the remote and use the key and unlock and open the rear door without hitting unlock on the remote then it sets the alarm off and makes the horn start honking. What else could be the problem?
Old May 17th, 2016, 5:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the rear passenger doors lock AND unlock? You didn't say if the other doors will unlock. There is an UNLOCK relay that may be your problem. Do you have a test meter or test light? Check for power between the TAN and GRAY wires at the brass contacts on the right barn door when activating the door locks.
Old May 17th, 2016, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Do the rear passenger doors lock AND unlock? You didn't say if the other doors will unlock. There is an UNLOCK relay that may be your problem. Do you have a test meter or test light? Check for power between the TAN and GRAY wires at the brass contacts on the right barn door when activating the door locks.

Yes all the other doors lock and unlock just fine with the door switch or the key remote. Yes I have a test light. If it ever stops raining here I will test those tan and gray wires at the contacts on the right door. Thanks for that info.
Old February 24th, 2022, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by twoshoes
I have an 04 suburban 1500 with dual rear barn doors. The lock actuator for the rear barn doors just suddenly stopped working with the lock switch and remote key fob. I assumed it was the actuator since I have had to replace some in the front doors in the past. So I got a replacement actuator and tried it and it still does not work. I took a little square 9 volt battery and some jumper wires and tested both the old and new actuators and they both work fine. I also had sanded the brass contacts and plates on both rear doors and no help. I have checked fuses also. All the other doors lock fine with the remote and with the door button. The rear door will lock with the key just fine. If I hit lock on the remote and use the key and unlock and open the rear door without hitting unlock on the remote then it sets the alarm off and makes the horn start honking. What else could be the problem?

Where did you find the barn door actuator??