Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'04 Tahoe steereing shaft rattle

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2018, 6:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '04 Tahoe steereing shaft rattle

Have anyone taken apart the Intermediate Steering Shaft ? How does the lower end near the gear box with the coupling come apart ? Maybe a pic of the shaft splines ? Enough of this rattling and time to fix it. And yes, I know about the Dorman and other replacements. Thanks. *BW*
Old July 26th, 2018, 8:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

should be just a pinch bolt on either end iirc. spray it with penetrating fluid. you may have to tape it off with a hammer and long punch to get the slip fit apart...I hammer of the end of my prybar. before you start loop the seat belt thru the steering wheel to keep it indexed and to not break the clock spring coil.

the first fix from get was a grease kit...it worked for a while. they then started replacing them...they are not cheap.

Last edited by tech2; July 27th, 2018 at 8:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old July 27th, 2018, 3:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Tech 2 and a good note about holding the steering wheel, but, with the shaft loose on both ends what keeps the sliding part of the shaft from coming apart ? Maybe a lock clip or something ? Any pics of the splined areas ? Thanks. *BW*