Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 tahoe z71 Service 4wd

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 tahoe z71 Service 4wd

here is the problem, i think it is the switch but dont want to buy a new switch if someone else has a better idea of the problem.

when i start the tahoe all the lights on the Auto, 2H, 2L come on momentarily and then go out leaving the red Neutral light on. the vehicle is acctually still in gear and will drive but acts sluggish almost like it is in 4L. you cannot change to any other gears unless you put the vehicle in neutral and then change same as you would from 4l to 4h. but the reason i dont actually think it is in 4L is when it goes from the state it is in (red neutral light but actually in a drive) it does not slam gears like normal low to high switch.

this all started a few months ago with a service 4wd warning everyonce and a while. but only came on while you had been driving for a while but no problems seamed to exist with the exception and not occuring same time as service 4wd light was sharp turns in reverse felt like fornt in was engaged but i dismissed this as wheel rub since i have 285/75/r16 installed and still drove like normal and all drives worked when used.

then about 2 weeks ago the vehicle would start in 4L and you would have ot swithc from 4L to 2H/auto each time you wanted to drive anywhere.

now everytime the vehicle sets for more than 5 min after its turned off it does the red neutral light but is in a drive gear. as i described earlier in this post. if you turn vehicle off and back on it will stay in the same gear it was in before you turned it off. it has to sit off before it will revert back to the neutral postion.

thanks in advance hope this is clear description any questions just ask and i will try to clarify.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
CF Active Member

did you check and see if there was any codes. if the service 4wd is on there should be some codes that would help pin point the problem.
Old May 21st, 2010, 6:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Default nope

nope, ill do that this morning.