Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 tahoe Z71 T-case issues.

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2013, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 tahoe Z71 T-case issues.

I have been doing some work on my son's Tahoe. He had told me a few months ago that it would not go into 4wd. I took a look around here and discovered the thread on the hole that gets poked in the case. Sure enough, it had one. I JB welded it, then pulled the drain plug to replace the fluid. Apparently the hole had been there for some time, as nothing came out. The drain hole was plugged with what appeared to be small chunks of clutch disc. I cleaned out what I could get to and refilled it with fluid. (Also got the lowdown on the Bluetrak 2 fluid). I'm assuming that the case is pretty-much toast from what i've seen. He rarely uses 4wd. The truck seems to drive just fine in 2wd. Will it hurt to keep driving it, now that I have the leak fixed?

What kind of job is it to get the T-case out? I usually do my own stuff, but i'm a little limited on the GM product knowledge. Looks like the torsion bar mount crossmember is in the way of dropping the case down. Will it slide back enough to wiggle out, or does the transmission have to come with it?
What about fixing it? Is it better to rebuild it with the addition of the kit to fix the hole-wearing problem, or try to find another case that hasnt been trashed and do the fix for the hole? Just trying to get some ideas here. Any help is appreciated.
Old September 6th, 2013, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, nobody knows anything about this, or is it just not interesting enough?
Old September 6th, 2013, 4:59 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum .

May be just not any knowledge on it.