Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Burb leaking fluid from front diff vent

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 2:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Burb leaking fluid from front diff vent

I have a 2005 Suburban. 180,000 miles. Noticed it has been leaking fluid out of the vent tube for the front diff. Drained and changed the fluid. Refilled according to manual with the correct type. Still did it. Pulled the vent tube off and inspected for cracks. holes,etc. Hose OK. Blew air through it to make sure it wasn't clogged, reinstalled and changed fluid again. Still leaking. Have noticed at fluid changes that there is a uncormfortable looking amt of metal shavings in fluid.

I don't know that much anyway and I am getting nowhere so it is time to ask for help. I prefer not to go to the dealer until I have asked here first and within reason tried what I can on my own. As always any input / suggestions are greatly appreciated......

Thanks,

Tom <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_482267-->
Old May 21st, 2012, 2:22 PM
CF Junior Member

So...In order to try to islolate things a little I made a temporary resevoir out of a drink bottle and ran the vent hose into it. Figure this way I will:

1) get an idea how much it is leaking and

2) see if it is leaking anywhere else by catching the fluid from the vent.

I don't see any other leaks around that area and there isn't fluid all over everything anymore so it appears that is the only place it is coming out. Have a couple ounces collected in the bottle now. Is an uncomfortable silvery color.....

Also used the 4wd this past wknd. Worked fine but immediately afterward " Service 4WD" came up. The next day I noticed no lights at all on my switch( control Module). That is the first time that has happened (no lights) although last summer the "service 4WD'" did come up.

Not sure if this is related or if 2 seperate issues........ <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_484695-->

Last edited by Imposter71; May 23rd, 2012 at 9:47 AM.
Old July 4th, 2012, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Imposter71
So...In order to try to islolate things a little I made a temporary resevoir out of a drink bottle and ran the vent hose into it. Figure this way I will:

1) get an idea how much it is leaking and

2) see if it is leaking anywhere else by catching the fluid from the vent.

I don't see any other leaks around that area and there isn't fluid all over everything anymore so it appears that is the only place it is coming out. Have a couple ounces collected in the bottle now. Is an uncomfortable silvery color.....

Also used the 4wd this past wknd. Worked fine but immediately afterward " Service 4WD" came up. The next day I noticed no lights at all on my switch( control Module). That is the first time that has happened (no lights) although last summer the "service 4WD'" did come up.

Not sure if this is related or if 2 seperate issues........ <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_484695-->
sounds exactly like my 2005 'burb 8.1L...
any resolution?
Old July 5th, 2012, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

No, haven't had much time and not really sure where to start.....My svc 4wd light comes on too but not sure if that is related. I have to do something about it soon b/c I want to use it for a trip to the mountains and that is a lot of driving....
I will post up as I try things and if I get any info.

What exactly is yours doing?