Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban random misfire

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2017, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Suburban random misfire

Error code P300. Have replaced plugs and wires. No other sensor codes. No loss of power and only a slight engine vibration at an idle. Have taken a new coil and installed it on each cylinder with no visible change. Has 103000 miles on it. Air filter is good. It is the 5.3. Strong odor of unburnt fuel at exhaust

Last edited by Invisions1; January 1st, 2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old January 1st, 2017, 4:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd replace the injectors, or O rings. If you have done the ignition, and smell gas, probably an injector leaking
Old January 1st, 2017, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default ?

if it where sending a code on a particular cylinder i would agree with you. I am getting a random misfire meaning it bouncing cylinder to cylinder. Im not a mechanic by no means but I would think if I had a bad injector I would get a 301-308 code.
Old January 1st, 2017, 6:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

have someone with a scan tool view the misfire data. gm has the best misfire counter data. if will show current and historical misfire counters for each cylinder even though the only code is a p0300. Use this data to isolate the misfire to a particular cylinder or bank.
Old January 1st, 2017, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

I have had three auto parts stores connect to it and all they can tell me Is random misfire. I have looked at programs I can download to my pc. Rather than paying a dealership could i populate the same data on my pc
Old January 2nd, 2017, 6:19 AM
CF Beginner

I had a misfire on cylinder 6 and my truck would buck from first gear. The code would be p306. This happen once a month for about six months. I took it to a mechanic and they said the lifter was stuck because the guides had been worn out. They Fixed that and then the same thing happened less than two weeks later. From everything i gathered the real problem was the lobes on the camshaft. This is a 2007 silverado which is probably a similar motor
Old January 2nd, 2017, 8:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Invisions1
if it where sending a code on a particular cylinder i would agree with you. I am getting a random misfire meaning it bouncing cylinder to cylinder. Im not a mechanic by no means but I would think if I had a bad injector I would get a 301-308 code.
If it were sending a specific code I'd look at that cylinder. Since you have multiple misfires I look at injectors based on your smelling unburned fuel.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Invisions1
I have had three auto parts stores connect to it and all they can tell me Is random misfire. I have looked at programs I can download to my pc. Rather than paying a dealership could i populate the same data on my pc
other than having a scan tool; autoparts store employees have zero training in diagnosing automobiles. Maybe a gas station or car wash attendant can help.

autoenginuity has the software required to access this information from the pcm. Its probably $300 for a gm package. this will do all gm products. You can expand to other makes for a price if you ever buy another brand.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 9:12 AM
Super Moderator

fuel smell do not mean the injectors are at fault. it just means there was no combustion event. everything that effects combustion in a cylinder must be checked. spark, fuel, compression, all at the right time.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the fuel pressure this morning and it was 53 with key on and engine off. If it were low compression on a cylinder wouldn't it read at that cylinder and not a random misfire. Any thoughts on what to try next.

Quick Reply: 05 Suburban random misfire