Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'06 Rear Gate Lock Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2008, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Rear Gate Lock Problems

I have a 2006 Suburban and the original factory warranty is about to expire on it, but I did purchase the extended bumper to bumper warranty when i purchased it, so i am wanting to get this fixed before the factory warranty expires.

The rear gate will not lock when the doors lock and the alarm sets. Also the rear window stays unlocked. All of the doors lock when the button is pressed except for the rear.

This happened several weeks ago and the dealership wanted me to drop off the vehicle for a couple days for them to diagnose the problem and fix it, but I can not be without a vehicle for "a few days".

I decided then to take the truck to where I had my Viper alarm installed to have them look at it to make sure it wasn't something going wrong with the alarm (before Chevy tried to say it was). The alarm shop had me try to lock the doors from the door switch instead of from the remote, and this worked, the rear door locked and unlocked normally for several weeks from the remote and door switch like nothing was wrong.

Last week it happened again, the rear door and rear glass will not lock with either the alarm remote or the door switch. You can hear the doors locking and unlocking when the button is pressed, but there is no sound at all in the tailgate.

The person at the alarm shop told me that they just had another Suburban come in a few weeks earlier for the exact same problem and they called the dealership about changing out the actuator, which the dealership surprisingly had in stock. Here in Hawaii, only parts which are replaced very frequently are kept in stock due to storage space limitations, and they rarely ever stock parts that cost over $1,000 so this has me wondering if Chevy knows about a problem with the rear door lock actuator that they are not telling us about.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '06 Rear Gate Lock Problems

I noticedthe exact sameproblemon my '06 Trailblazer quite by accident a week ago. I took it to the dealership last week Thursday (3/20/08) and I explained that you can hit the lock button either once or twice and the rear window will not lock (it will latch). I left it there for them at 9AM and picked it up at 4PM...guess what...they said it was to "factory spec"!!!! Needless to say I was upset. The service tech said there was nothing more they could do since it was to spec. I told him it was absolutely unacceptable for me to hit the lock button and leave myself vulnerable to theft. I will be dropping it off again sometime this week when I can spare being w/o it for them to look into it more.

There is one bandaid to this problem; once you hit the doorlock button, open and close the rear window, this will lock it up (at least in my case). You must do this EVERY time you unlock and lock the vehicle, because once you unlock the vehicle (even though the rear window was previously locked and you haven't opened it), the rear window remains unlocked until it's physically opened and closed.

My plan is to take it to the dealer this week; if my problem gets solved I will post the resolution.