Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 or 06? Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2010, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 or 06? Decisions, Decisions

First, hi to everyone, I'm new here, just taking a look at getting a new (to me) Tahoe. Right now, we have a 2001 x5 and really like everything about it, other than the fact that it's got 112k miles and it just doesn't have the room we really want with 1 baby + 1 more on the way + 2 dogs that go everywhere with us.

That said, I've looked at A LOT of vehicles and I think the Tahoe is really the way to go, for now. I will get over the nice touches of the x5 and the driving qualities fairly fast in trade for the extra space and comfort. Right now, we have narrowed it down to a 2006, black w/ tan z71 Tahoe. Only 40k miles, all the z71 touches, exept for 4wd. I really would just assume have the LT package, but the z71 package is very similar and it happens to be priced fairly right with low miles. The only real issue I have is no thrid row on it, but that is ok b/c I was probably going to have the thrid row sitting in my garage for the next two years.

The second choice is a 2007 GMC yukon. It is pretty basic, other than leather, but I don't think that you could get "just" leather, so I'm sure it has whatever else came with the leather package. I noticed it had the nicer instrument cluster (with the digital dual climate instead of the roller wheel dual climate, etc), so whatever else is in that group. It has 69k miles, which is a big downer to my wife, but I'm fairly confident that a Chevy/GMC is reliable (as would my 1970 chevy truck in the driveway says after all these years). The price is pretty much identical. If the dealers don't budge at all, then the 07 is 1k more. A lot of it comes down to what they will give me in trade, so the discussion might be for nothing, but I'm really torn.

On one hand, I really love the new styling and quiteness of the 07+, but I do like that the 06 has 29K less miles + a lot more options. The 10 way adjustable seats in the 06 just about sold me tonight. SO yeah, any help would be great!
Old February 17th, 2010, 8:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the 06 doesnt have the third row, imo, i would take that one because you have the backseat for the kids and the empty cargo area for the dogs. does the 06 have leather or cloth? do your dogs jump all around the vehicle when traveling? longevity of the vehicle depends on how its cared for throughout its life. claws and leather dont mix lol. good luck. let us know your decision. either way its a good choice.
Old February 17th, 2010, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I personally wanted an 07+, but if you are looking for the best value for you money a 2006 is probably the best. In my area, a 2006 with equivalent options and mileage is 5-10 thousand less. The 2006 models are also still eligible for GM certification.

If you are primarily looking for more room, you may also want to check out Suburbans. The Tahoe does not have much more room than the X5.
Old February 17th, 2010, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, the 06 has leather.
Let's see, the 06 has leather, dual climate control, memory seats, 10 way adjustable seats, rear dvd, bose... hmm... whatever else the z71 comes with.

The 07 has leather too, but I haven't seen it in person yet, just photos. OH, that was the other point I wanted to make about the 07, it is about 2.5 hours away. It isn't a big deal as we go down to that area all the time, but it might be two weeks before I make it down to see it. Time isn't a huge factor, I can wait to get whatever I get.

Also, I have an adjustable dog gate that will fit in either model. I keep the dogs in the back with their beds, in the x5, so that they don't jump on the baby in the car seat.
Old February 17th, 2010, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vester
I personally wanted an 07+, but if you are looking for the best value for you money a 2006 is probably the best. In my area, a 2006 with equivalent options and mileage is 5-10 thousand less. The 2006 models are also still eligible for GM certification.

If you are primarily looking for more room, you may also want to check out Suburbans. The Tahoe does not have much more room than the X5.
Well, the Suburban is a bit tooo big for right now! Ha. The Tahoe is a nice middle ground. It actually has a good bit more room than the x5, cargo and passenger room (well, a "good bit" meaning multiple inches for leg, hip, etc. which, feels maybe more substantial than it sounds. Cargo w/o a 3rd row is greatly increased over what we have now). I guess the primary concern isn't with more room, that is probably number two on the list, reliability vs a BMW with this many miles is number one.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

did you take good care of the x5 maintenance wise? if you did. take that great of care with the tahoe and you will get alot more than 160,000 + miles. check out carcomplaints.com and put in the yr make model you're looking at it gives all problems about the car in all areas of the vehicle. check it out. maybe it will help with your decision.
Old February 18th, 2010, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by s34n
did you take good care of the x5 maintenance wise? if you did. take that great of care with the tahoe and you will get alot more than 160,000 + miles. check out carcomplaints.com and put in the yr make model you're looking at it gives all problems about the car in all areas of the vehicle. check it out. maybe it will help with your decision.
Cool, that is a nice site, but they need to get a lot more feedback on there as all three models (01 x5 - actually 02 b/c no 01 complaints, 06 Tahoe, and 07 Yukon) I checked only had 1 complaint each.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer with the '06 Tahoe. Should be about 2 more hours and I'll know something. I am really loving that new body style though too.... Dang.
Old February 18th, 2010, 9:03 AM
CF Senior Member

what price are they asking for each one? you should be able to get a "basic" '07 with that many miles for around $22k
Old February 18th, 2010, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ousig2408
what price are they asking for each one? you should be able to get a "basic" '07 with that many miles for around $22k
The GMC, which is a step or so up from the basic (I think...), is right at 22/23, the 06 is right at 21/22. Either way, I'm going to offer 20 for either one. Unless someone thinks less might be better? haha
Old February 18th, 2010, 9:38 AM
CF Senior Member

go to KBB and NADA to get accurate prices for each. I really like the new body style vs the old, but I would look at all the options and see what works best for you. It seems that the 06 has more options and less miles and less money...even with the "old" body style that may be the best option IMO

Quick Reply: 07 or 06? Decisions, Decisions