Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 or 06? Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ousig2408
go to KBB and NADA to get accurate prices for each. I really like the new body style vs the old, but I would look at all the options and see what works best for you. It seems that the 06 has more options and less miles and less money...even with the "old" body style that may be the best option IMO
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned with the body style, more about how well it drives/rides. I drove an 07 Tahoe before driving the 06 Tahoe (07 had the LT package 06 has the z71) and I was impressed, but I'm not 100% sure it is worth the extra time/money for more miles + less options. We would probably keep the truck for about 4 years and then move to a Suburban. That is why I'm not super upset that this particular z71 doesn't have a 3rd row as a second row bench is ample. KBB and NADA say the prices are fair, though, a little haggling is in order.
Old February 18th, 2010, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Well I have an 07 Yukon XL and an 05 Suburban. It may seem petty but I like the "old style" of the 05 for one big reason- real bumpers!! My wife backed into my former pickup with the Yukon and the plastic "bumper" sustained about a 12" dimple that I had to pop back out using my foot. The area lost some of its paint and sustained a tear in the plastic too. My truck's steel bumper ended up with a couple of scuffs. I now have to replace that whole plastic bumper before I turn it in. I also have the Z71 package in the Suburban and my wife LOVES the heated seats- not sure if that 07 you're looking at has them. Plus the miles are a lot lower on the 06. Id go with the 06.
Old February 18th, 2010, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Burbman
Well I have an 07 Yukon XL and an 05 Suburban. It may seem petty but I like the "old style" of the 05 for one big reason- real bumpers!! My wife backed into my former pickup with the Yukon and the plastic "bumper" sustained about a 12" dimple that I had to pop back out using my foot. The area lost some of its paint and sustained a tear in the plastic too. My truck's steel bumper ended up with a couple of scuffs. I now have to replace that whole plastic bumper before I turn it in. I also have the Z71 package in the Suburban and my wife LOVES the heated seats- not sure if that 07 you're looking at has them. Plus the miles are a lot lower on the 06. Id go with the 06.
Ah, now that is good to have, some direct comparison information! They aren't budging on the price, which is kind of a bummer, but the real trouble is that the dealers don't want a car with 100K+ miles, so getting anything for the x5 is much harder than I ever thought it would be. I have a local buyer interested, so we will see. I'm 90% sure we are going with the 2006, lower miles + more features = win.
Old February 18th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a good choice. hope it works out for the best. good luck
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

I got my 07 nearly 2 weeks ago. I was specifically looking for an optioned out 4WD model to tow behind our motorhome. I decided to move to the 07 instead of earlier models due to the driveability improvements. The rack and pinion steering is amazing in this truck! The Z71 is quite smooth for an off road package. My wife has a bad back with spinal fusion and a morphine pump implant. She doesn't hesitate to complain about a poor suspension! There is a bit of pitching, but the seats and lumbar support manage the bumps that get through the suspension.
Maybe in your area they are harder to find - I had plenty to look at down here in FL! The one we settled on cost us 28K plus TTL - but it had virtually every option possible!
Old February 19th, 2010, 4:19 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you check CarMax?
Old February 19th, 2010, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Did you check CarMax?
Yup, Carmax wouldn't give me what I need either. Same as the dealers, around 7k.

@dhead, I know what you mean, there are a lot of great cars in FL. Our market here isn't that great.
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Best of luck but I can't see any problem making this decision? The "old" body style for a thousand less? Mileage in these trucks is next to negligible if well maintained, everyone i know with Tahoes/Yukons have well over100K and some even 200K. The advancements in the new body style are vast ESPECIALLY the interior.. I can't even believe you'd consider the 06 when the 07 is only 1k more? They will both hold their value, for now, but as years pass the difference in the old body v the new body will grow much larger, just like the last time GM changed the body on the early 2000-2001 era.. just my $.02 I also looked into picking up an 06 Escalade and then thought "am i nuts?" switched to look at a new/newer tahoe and found a ridiculous deal on the LTZ (Demo) for $42k.. dropped $8500 from my trade and have another 32k to pay off (4yrs @ 650mo) good luck.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
Best of luck but I can't see any problem making this decision? The "old" body style for a thousand less? Mileage in these trucks is next to negligible if well maintained, everyone i know with Tahoes/Yukons have well over100K and some even 200K. The advancements in the new body style are vast ESPECIALLY the interior.. I can't even believe you'd consider the 06 when the 07 is only 1k more? They will both hold their value, for now, but as years pass the difference in the old body v the new body will grow much larger, just like the last time GM changed the body on the early 2000-2001 era.. just my $.02 I also looked into picking up an 06 Escalade and then thought "am i nuts?" switched to look at a new/newer tahoe and found a ridiculous deal on the LTZ (Demo) for $42k.. dropped $8500 from my trade and have another 32k to pay off (4yrs @ 650mo) good luck.
Well, I agree, but convincing my wife of that is another matter. She isn't concerned about cost, but about miles. 41k miles vs 69k miles (in the 06 vs the 07) we are looking at makes a huge difference to her, even though I tell her that it's a Chevy and it's going to run forever. The main thing for me though, is the 07 we are looking at is fairly plain jane. It does have leather seats, which is nice, but the 06 has everything that I know of, excluding a nav system and the 3rd row. Those 10 way power seats with lumbar support are kinda tops in my book, but, again, I really do like the 07 styling and features. Also, the dealer is going to certify the 06 for us to make it a bit better deal. Now that I am selling my x5 outright and not working with a dealer to get it traded, I have opened up a few more options. Might not have to buy in the area now. Now, on top of everything though, just as soon as I think we are settled on a Tahoe/Yukon, she is concerned that it is going to be too big for her to drive around when we are in New Orleans. I don't know. It would be nice to make this process much simpler.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we just got an '07 and it drives VERY nice around town and parking lots. obviously you can't just jump into any small parking spot but the steering in the '07+ models is much better than the previous models. it makes the truck feel much smaller.
I would highly recommend a rear view camera to save the bumpers if you get a new body style...this is very nice to have especially when backing up in parking lots in the dark.

Quick Reply: 07 or 06? Decisions, Decisions